fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
The best way to get rid of dust I've found is to submerge the entire PC in water then leave it to dry out a few days in the sun. Of course there will still be some water left in there which is why next you should light it on fire. If you do this right there may be some bits of gold left at the end which you can sell to buy/build a new PC that doesn't have dust.

I've been doing this for years and my current PC is fast and it knows it better stay that way cause I'll soak and burn this MF in a second if it slows down. YOU HEAR ME!?

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
The best way to get rid of dust I've found is to submerge the entire PC in water then leave it to dry out a few days in the sun. Of course there will still be some water left in there which is why next you should light it on fire. If you do this right there may be some bits of gold left at the end which you can sell to buy/build a new PC that doesn't have dust.

I've been doing this for years and my current PC is fast and it knows it better stay that way cause I'll soak and burn this MF in a second if it slows down. YOU HEAR ME!?

Just to add to that, You may also want to make sure that it is plugged in and running when you do that, make sure that it gets into the moving parts, will lubricate it! LOL

Wolverine57

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.4%
246   4   0
I too have been doing this for many years! In fact that is what I do for a living! And I have several certification plus BA in Computer Science,. Currently getting ready for my Cisco certification. Now I don't understand why, many waste time trying to clean the malware! Many issue already effected the registry. A clean install take tops 2 hours, and you just tuned up your PC for Optimal performance....my opinion.

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
I too have been doing this for many years! In fact that is what I do for a living! And I have several certification plus BA in Computer Science,. Currently getting ready for my Cisco certification. Now I don't understand why, many waste time trying to clean the malware! Many issue already effected the registry. A clean install take tops 2 hours, and you just tuned up your PC for Optimal performance....my opinion.
I disagree with this. If i go to my boss and tell him, "listen I am gonna open altiris and push a new image to this costumer because i am too lazy to even try and attempt to fix the machine" he'll trow me out the door, no he would literally pick me up and trow me out the door. IN an office environment where everything should be backed up and you have an image, sometimes it's easier to just reimage, but when it comes to private, you can't just re-do the computer, people have too much crap on their machine that they don't back and will get lost, that's why i am sorry to say, i don't bother fixing private people computer, too much of a headache. I have enough at my 9-whenever job is done workplace.
Anyway, i am guessing the issue with aquatic life direct is resolved by widdy?

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0

And a clean install does not take 2 hrs. No way in hell 2 hours. You need to do from start to finish. Start by backing up all needed data. Then format system. Then install windows. Then install all software. If you don't have proper install disks then you need to download every driver and reboot on each installation (proper way). 2 hrs maybe to get just the OS. And for certain malware there is no reason to do reinstall. While I agree that with a rootkit. You may be better off since there are times remnants can be left. For for basic stuff no need to reinstall.

I disagree with this. If i go to my boss and tell him, "listen I am gonna open altiris and push a new image to this costumer because i am too lazy to even try and attempt to fix the machine" he'll trow me out the door, no he would literally pick me up and trow me out the door. IN an office environment where everything should be backed up and you have an image, sometimes it's easier to just reimage, but when it comes to private, you can't just re-do the computer, people have too much crap on their machine that they don't back and will get lost, that's why i am sorry to say, i don't bother fixing private people computer, too much of a headache. I have enough at my 9-whenever job is done workplace.
Anyway, i am guessing the issue with aquatic life direct is resolved by widdy?

I cannot agree more. I read his post and then yours. I also take care of computers at my job with a domain controller. So for me at work since all data is on the server. Sometimes it is easier to just restore the system. But then I still need to reinstall all the programs.

I may start to image each machine upon inital configuration. Will save me headaches in the future. Gotta love GHOST

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Wolverine57

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.4%
246   4   0
I would like to see a YouTube of your boss picking you up and throwing you out! Now I know it takes longer than 2 hours to re-image is like more like 4 hours.

Now at the site I work at, there are about 300+ users. And in terms of a laptop user if they are getting malware or registery issue, where its not booting up to windows. After I have done several trouble-shooting attemps to get the PC back to it's original state. All fails, I would restage the boot partition only, and leave the other parttion alone. We don't use Ghost image, reason we have many models of laptops & Desktop computers.

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Amazing how this thread started out as someone asking for help, and interested parties just exchanging methods and suggestions became an ePeen contest of flexing credentials. Is there an IT job opening posted on MR that I'm not aware of? Let me update my CV asap.

Yes, a rebuild is certainly a better route to go in the long run, and was suggested to OP. But OP didn't have a recent backup nor the OS media for a rebuild. And the last thing that was said to OP was - since you have a functional PC now, backup your data and look into rebuild of the system.

As to why I "wasted" time on troubleshooting malware, Alex (Aquatic Life Direct) is a friend. He asked for my help and I had the time; and bred to accept the challenge. I would love to be at my "300+" user client and right click and revert to snapshot via VMWare VDI. But alas, like I mentioned; he didn't have a recent backup.

Written without the excess use of the exclamation mark and zero IT certifications.

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
I would like to see a YouTube of your boss picking you up and throwing you out! Now I know it takes longer than 2 hours to re-image is like more like 4 hours.

Now at the site I work at, there are about 300+ users. And in terms of a laptop user if they are getting malware or registery issue, where its not booting up to windows. After I have done several trouble-shooting attemps to get the PC back to it's original state. All fails, I would restage the boot partition only, and leave the other parttion alone. We don't use Ghost image, reason we have many models of laptops & Desktop computers.
Uhh, me be thrown out has been done, and probably been recorded..lol...i'll look. But in all seriousness, of course if the machine doesn't boot or it's totally fcuk, then your only option is reimage. Wolverine it sounds to me you might be a small shops, i would suggest, that 1)you try to get the same type of hardware (i know the power to be don't always agree with the IT techs) and 2)get Ghost or Acronis, you want to have a standard image, it'll make your life sooo much easier

Last edited:

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Amazing how this thread started out as someone asking for help, and interested parties just exchanging methods and suggestions became an ePeen contest of flexing credentials. Is there an IT job opening posted on MR that I'm not aware of? Let me update my CV asap.

Yes, a rebuild is certainly a better route to go in the long run, and was suggested to OP. But OP didn't have a recent backup nor the OS media for a rebuild. And the last thing that was said to OP was - since you have a functional PC now, backup your data and look into rebuild of the system.

As to why I "wasted" time on troubleshooting malware, Alex (Aquatic Life Direct) is a friend. He asked for my help and I had the time; and bred to accept the challenge. I would love to be at my "300+" user client and right click and revert to snapshot via VMWare VDI. But alas, like I mentioned; he didn't have a recent backup.

Written without the excess use of the exclamation mark and zero IT certifications.
ePeen contest..lmao...
VmWare VDI it's evil it'll put a lot of us out of a job man! My company virtualize the servers (and they run like crap), hopefully they will scrap desktop virtualization.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
If I have time and for a friend I always try to fix first to try to get their data off for them. Pulling harddrives and such for a friend like Widdy says.

I am not big on VM for desktops. But for servers I am for it. I just got a new server for my job and VM was much easier. We have a smaller budget and not much space to deal with. Since on application still does not support 64 bit we needed to go VM to get the SBS server. And it gave me the chance to move another application to another VM for full support.

IT is not my full time responsibility. It was added on top of my real duties. I enjoy doing it. But sometimes becomes a lot of work. That is why ghosting the machines on my end is not a big deal. Since I configure them at my desk, to image it and store the imgae wll save me in the long run! We only have about 30 client computers and 7 mobile units

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
ePeen contest..lmao...
VmWare VDI it's evil it'll put a lot of us out of a job man! My company virtualize the servers (and they run like crap), hopefully they will scrap desktop virtualization.

Yes, I know :( But it's so much more convenient.

VMWare on servers is a must these days. At the very least, throw on the ESXi Hypervisor. Dealing with the OS as a flat file vs. traditional way is a godsend. Patching SQL/Sharepoint servers use to take me 3-5 hours, 90% of the time is performing a full backup of it in the event it goes to lunch and doesn't come back. Now it's 30 seconds to take a snapshot + actual patch time. Revert to snapshot should the patch/upgrade vomits.

On a side note, if anyone looking for a ESXi test lab at home. HP Proliant N40L Microserver works perfectly. You can find them on sale (posted on Slickdeals) for about $200 - $250, just throw in another $75 for 8GB of RAM and off you go, should be enough to sustain 3-4 non-intensive VMs. I have 2, 1 running FreeNAS and 1 ESXi vSphere 5. Or you can go out and ride a bike. Pick your poison. :D

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I actually just used Acronis for the first time on my home PC. The HDD $hit the bed and I needed to replace it. Just did the quick copy to the new HDD and it was perfect.

We are running the hypervisor at work on the server here. I have not had much experience with them yet, but I am learning more and more.

And I don't have a single certification :)

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I actually just used Acronis for the first time on my home PC. The HDD $hit the bed and I needed to replace it. Just did the quick copy to the new HDD and it was perfect.

We are running the hypervisor at work on the server here. I have not had much experience with them yet, but I am learning more and more.

And I don't have a single certification :)

That's the best way -- self discovery. A home lab will help heaps, and it doesn't require a full blown setup. I started with a ESXi Hypervisor on a laptop booting off a USB stick. Here's an example and the same laptop I used http://vinf.net/2010/02/24/installing-esxi-on-a-laptop/

Think someone was trading the exact same laptop for live rock the other day ;) You can then venture to building a whitebox or use a microserver (mentioned above) to support more VMs and adding a NAS for shared storage when you're more familiar with it.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Our server is actually booting off a flash drive. I need to get a real lesson. The server is actually out of service right now getting the SBS migrated to it. I like the diversity ove being able to RDP into the box even if it is not booted up via 2nd nic card.

I have done everything I have learned by self discovery. I have a couple systems at home that I can mess with.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0

fritz's advice is the only one i understood.
should the water be ro/di or tap water is fine?.....i'm guessing ro/di is probably better, it won't leave as much residue.
what is the best way to light it on fire though?

btw fishman it was written in greek not chinese.....i can read chinese and none of it made any sense.
***note--i can't actually read chinese but it's funnier if i said i could.....lol

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: