motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
guys i need help, my buddy andy(tynman) has had it and is so stressed out with his coral whipe out that he is ready to throw in the towel! he has been a colector of the "rare" pieces and had an amaizing tank with crazy color and growth.. he is ready to put it all up for sale...

help me convince him not to do it!!!

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Stick with it...right now you're understandably pissed...but after you sell everything...calm down...then start to settle into life without your tanks...you will have major regrets and will have to spend all that money over again to start over...I would even be willing to donate coral to you if I had the high end/rare coral you lost to help you rebuild...don't give up...keep your head up! Don't know ya but I feel your pain...

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
im trring to convince him to wait it out, take his coral out of the system and let me put it in my holding system where i can qt them and dip them.. let his system run its course if it is a bacterial problem.. let it run a month just fish only and see how it goes then redo the rock work like he wanted and replace the coral that survived and get it back better than ever!!

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I think of it this way if my tank crashes I'll just do all the softies i love !! Truth be told I'd be heart broken if I lost all my sps /zoa paly collection but can't really imagine a life with out a tank !! Just set up a tank that's fun not expensive that's what I will do if /when my tank crashes

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
i know i hated it, when i got divorced and had to break down my system, every time i was at his house looking at his tank amaized at how nice it was, gave me the itch in a second.. and i know hes gonna hate ity coming to my place and seeing all the imports and not being able to take them.. besides he knows id restock his tank with frags in a heartbeat!! he is one of the most generous guys in the hobby, and has always offered me free frags of anything in the tank.. so i feel like its my turn not to let him do it and get him back!!!

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Let the man make his own decision. A man should know his limitations. If something goes awry you're gonna hear, ''it's your fault you told me to do it.

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
I can only offer this advise. Never make any decision imediately after any type of problem. Take a moment step back from the whole situation and evaluate it. Then make a decision based on fact not emotion. When you do decide to rebuild I have many sps frags that will get you moving in the right direction....if you choose....:splitspin

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
hey andy,

i do understand the frustration. i remember we talked about the rtn's both of us were running into but mine did stop after losing several colonies. i never did find out the main culprit. it was just a calm before the storm....oh was it ever the tempest of a storm.

i had a devastating crash this past november. the classic story of kalk nuking the tank. i lost all but one sps ...a cyphastrea. lost most of the other corals. and only a handful of fish survived. i would say 85-90% lost of livestock. i have had the ups and downs but this took the wind out of me. i thought about giving it all up. but day by day as i was going through the motion of water changes trying to save as many survivors as i could, things got a little better each day.

i still can't bring myself to post the pics. of the carnage. even though there's an emptiness every time i think of what had happened, i would just walk over to look at the tank and appreciate what had survived. three of the first salt water purchases i made are still residing in my box of ocean....a pistol shrimp, a purple tang, and the damned indestructible button polyps that i had tried to eradicate numerous times.
hang it there....i know it's tough but once you got saltwater running through your veins, you will always long for your own personal piece of the sea. every time you see the one that's rtn'ing, look at others that are still in there and appreciate them.

gl and lmk if there's anything i can do to help.

-tom

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
dre,im not trying to tell him what to do or make a desision for him, im just trying to get him not to make an emotional desision.. to slow down and wait till he isnt all worked up about the losses.. bc i know he will hate not having it and itll drive him crazy later..

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
like all things I'm sure he is a grown man with his own responsibilities. I'm sure that if he broke down and got out of the hobby it would be a decision he would make based on his situation. If he so chooses to get back into the hobby it would be at his convenience.

tynman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Stick with it...right now you're understandably pissed...but after you sell everything...calm down...then start to settle into life without your tanks...you will have major regrets and will have to spend all that money over again to start over...I would even be willing to donate coral to you if I had the high end/rare coral you lost to help you rebuild...don't give up...keep your head up! Don't know ya but I feel your pain...
I thank you very much for the offer. And the great words.

tynman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Let the man make his own decision. A man should know his limitations. If something goes awry you're gonna hear, ''it's your fault you told me to do it.

I would never blame anyone but myself... And Mike is working very hard to make me stay... And the truth be told I dont want to quite cause I do enjoy it especially when everything is going great and growing like weeds.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: