walnuts24

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Long story short, my gf is graduating nursing school next may and is going to be moving here from Richmond, VA. I work as an engineer in Huntington and live in Oyster Bay. The area where I live is nice and all, but it is not very mid-20's friendly.

She wants to live "somewhere cool".

I hear a lot of good things about Astoria for younger people, but it is a little far from my job in Huntington.

I have no idea about communities in Queens and am looking for some suggestions either there or western Nassau County. Needs to be safe and "cool" (bars, restaurants, parks, transportation).

Thanks for the suggestions

stooops718

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Astoria is great basically the next "Williamsburg" If that's your thing. Jackson Heights is pretty cool too, close to all. Some parts of Forest Hills near Austin Street are great too. Lots of bars and restaraunts on Austin Street. For a commute to LIRR somewhere near the Jamaica Station would be ideal, although some of that area can be shady. I live in Flushing , a quick bus ride to either the subway or the Jamaica LIRR and close to all the major highways. My neighborhood is pretty quiet but I have 3 kids now so that's good for me plus a backyard. When we go out with friends we usually go to the city anyways.

Good luck finding a place.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Not Flushing unless you speak Chinese where all the night life things are Chinese speaking/oriented. Even Korean night life things windled down over the years here. Mexican hang out down Northen Boulevard-I was told bear is SUPER SUPER cheap-like $1.50 and people are having a lot of fun. Shops here close at 7pm-9pm.

Last edited:

stooops718

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Not Flushing unless you are Chinese where all the night life things are Chinese speaking/oriented. Even Korean night life things windled down over the years here. Mexican hang out down Northen Boulevard-I was told bear is SUPER SUPER cheap-like $1.50 and people are having a lot of fun. Shops here closes at 7pm-9pm.

Depends on what area in Flushing. I live on the south side near Union Tpke. More college kids over there since St. John's and Queens College are close by.

stooops718

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Glen Oaks/Floral Park/Bellerose is your best bet for Condo/Coops that you could rent out after buying. Forest Hills has some nice condos. Little Neck/Douglaston/Bayside are nice quiet neighborhoods with access to the LIRR, but it's the Port Washington line. What kind of nightlife are you looking for? personally I think it's better to look for a quiet neighborhood with good options for transportation. Look into anything near Union Tpke, the Q46 is a direct line to the E/F subway plus all highways like a said before. Fresh Meadows/Bayside/Kew Gardens all have co-ops and condos along Union Tpke. If you have any specific questions let me know. I grew up in Little Neck, spent most of my time hanging out in Bayside and am living in Flushing/Fresh Meadows area for over 10 years. I can tell you about most of Queens.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Pretty much the best areas to buy a house and live in Queens are Whitestone ,Flushing,Fresh Meadows and Bayside but they are EXPENSIVE. Forest hills is ok too but very congested a lot of traffic and people. The other areas are a lot more relaxed eventhough there is a large amount of people. Astoria is a "happening place" but even to rent is very expensive since it's close to manhattan but its very congested and dirty, there is like 100 million people, never anywhere to park. It would not be my first choice.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
Forest hills/rego park, jackson heights, woodside, bayside, kew gardens astoria these are all good places for a younger crowd. Floral park is for old people. Really what you want to do is findanything close to mass transit as it will be easiest to commute to manhattan and not cost an arm and leg. Also something close to major hiways. I live in corona and am a few mins from major hiways and only minutes from the city by car and a half hour shy by train.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: