• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
There are many words/phrases that are used colloquially by people trying to sound educated which make them come off as the exact opposite (in my limited experience, I hear it most in the Black evangelical christian set). 'Conversate' 'On tomorrow' and 'fellowship' as an intransitive verb are the ones that particularly irritate me and I do hear at least one of them every workday from people who make much more $ than I do, depressing.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
My grandmother on my mom's side was an old school English teacher back when you could hit your students and parents thanked you for it. My dad's mom would return the letters I sent her from camp with corrections and only an actual reply after I fixed the mistakes. I grew up knee deep in sticklers. Even if it is now in the dictionary, certain words will still put you on the receiving end of a passionate tirade.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Wingo, those spellings are considered european and I believe some are used in Australia and Canada. Both are acceptable, we just don't use them here.

Yes, most English speaking countries use the later except USA and, may be, some USA influenced countries accept the former as correct too. I have seen couple signs in Middle East using the spelling without the "u".

I was met with the red pen when I used the word "color" in a British school by an Englishman.

That is, English is changing along where it is used. When enough people are using it, it becomes acceptable.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: