Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Good luck with your puppy! Boxers are full of life and my favorite breed hands down. They just need short training sessions after a long walk because all they want to do is play all day everyday.. Welcome to the boxer family!! Your life will never be dull again.

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Thanks greeneyes

No problem...must post pics as soon as you get him!
Is this person meeting you somewhere with the pup or will you be shown their facilities? See the parents, etc. Please be careful...don't want to go all psycho about it...Google puppy mills. These dogs come with a multitude of health problems and most of the time end in heartache.

jcurry

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those breed specific rescue groups are a joke, don't even waste your time with them. The only way you'll get a dog from them is if you donate hundreds of dollars first. Then you have to promise them the dog will never leave your sight or be left alone for more than 10 minutes.
They want to come and inspect your house to make sure its "fit" for a dog. Mean while their yard is loaded with dog crap and the house smells like piss.

Just go to the local pound and get a nice mutt. It was the best thing I did after wasting 5 years with FBRN.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
3d3355c2.jpg

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
lol hes been driving me a lil crazy so far but hes a puppy. he already crapped on 2 diff. carpets and almost once on the floor where i caught him. he also peed on the carpet. he almost peed on the floor and i caught him before he did his deed and put him on a pad. ive been trying to walk him with a leash which is no easy task. i gotta do me some reading...

i just bought him a pen that i have setup in my fish room for now until he starts learning and stops pooping all over the place.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
2 things-
1- To get him used to a leash have it clipped to his collar and let him drag it around in the house.

2-EVERY time you get him to pee or poop outside give him EXTREME praise, When he has an accident inside if you catch him as it happens, verbally correct him and then he gets no special attention. Hell get the idea outside I get love, inside I get ignored a bit. Any accident if not caught and found later- no punishment he won't know why you're mad.

Don't ever use the crate as punishment. That's supposed to be his "safe and comfy" spot. You'll never get him to be crateable if he gets locked in for correction.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
I've done this for 5 pups and it's not for everyone but it trumps getting our pups scared of us because we get frustrated or angry because of them just being pups. It's one thing if a dog/pup is sick and goes in the house but when they just don't know or don't learn as quickly as we'd like then it's best to just elminate the issue before it happens so that it is never an issue.

Now to turn people's heads lol

When human babies don't go #2, a parent/doctor/nurse sticks a thermometer/prod up a babies anus a bit and usually the baby goes instantaneously. Taking that into consideration, I've always used packs and packs of "PAPER" match books (NOT wooden ones).

1. Pick up/walk your pup, bring her outside to the spot you want her to ALWAYS use as her designated spot. That way you don't have to go all over God's creation looking for landmines.
1a. Have her on a short 4-6' leash. That way she can't roam where ever she wants. Dogs will go sight seeing if we let them and that's not cool when we're in a rush for whatever reason especially with a smart dog that learns that if they don't "go", then they get to stay outside and play longer which in turn can become frustrating for us.
1b. Ignore your dog completely. Just like kids push buttons and turn an 8:30pm bedtime into a 10:00 whining ordeal... a dog will learn to keep playing with you instead of just going to the bathroom.

2. Rip a paper match out of the book. Obviously DON"T light it. Lift her tail and insert bulb of the match in to her anus so that only about a 1/4" of ripped part of the match is sticking out.

3. Put her down in her place to go and wait 5-15 seconds and she'll pee first and then deficate.
3a. As she pees... say something like, "good, good girl, pee!!!" in a soft & friendly, high pitch voice.
3b. As she deficates... say something like, "good girl. finish!!!" in a soft & friendly, high pitch voice.
3c. Later you'll be able to just say "pee" and/or "finish" and get her to go on command.

Do this; in the morning when she wakes up
: again before you go to work
: after every meal/drink of water/snack
: as a pup (every few hours just to be safe)

When you can't watch her, put her in her SMALL crate so that she doesn't have enough room to "go" in the crate and just move to the other side of the crate. If you have a huge crate, install a divider to reduce the amount of real estate.

Take it a step further: Hang a cowbell/or similiar on your door and ring it everytime you take her out. Eventually she will learn to ring it to go out. Smartarse dogs will ring it just to go out tho =) so becareful with a demanding dog that "in theory" will train you to let it out when it demands that you come running just becasue she rang the bell =) this is especially helpful if you have a big house and may not hear a dog whimpering at the door.

I know the match thing sounds crazy but I guarantee that raising a pup can at times be very frustrating. The more that you can do to make every single experiene a great one will help a pup learn much faster and not fear us. They don't speak English nor understand what we "expect" from them so I'm a huge fan of taking the guess work out of it and making it so that I never have to be frustrated. Showing a pup that we're frustrated or angry can scar them and seriously take 10 huge steps backwards. I could make 3 dogs go #1 & #2 in about 5 minutes total time and then jump in my car and go to work. (3) matches, (1) dog out at a time so they don't play together and it went pretty damn fast.

If your dog doesn't go before you go to work becomes a habit and then you come home to having to clean up her mess that she did a "crocodile death-roll" in and have to give her a bath on top of it and anything else you had to do that day can get to be a drag IMO.

But coming home to a well behaved dog that never has an accident is priceless.

PS: For big dogs, you sometimes have to take 2 matches and put them in at the same time.

Sorry for the grotesqueness of it but I swear it is a trick that can offer peace of mind and make dog ownership a blessing. Look at it in another way, if a dog is constantly making mistakes, it is pretty common for us to think about sticking our foots up their........ =)

Best of luck with your new pup.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
At the time I had 2 dogs of my own, a Wiemeraner and a Cane Corso Mastiff and the third was my sister's Cane Corse. We both had crazy schedules with work and college with 3 young pups. Once they were older, it stopped of course but there are days with my new dog when he goes out to smell the flowers and chase butterflies, that the thought does go thru my mind but I no longer even have matches in the house. =) Big dogs = Bigger Poops = More of a mess = More to clean up

Now I have an American Pitbull Terrier and I did the same for him. My mother has a couple of toy yap-yaps and the same went for them. Getting my mom to do it was kinda funny but after a few accidents in the house later, it was paper matches to the rescue. lol

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Guys thanks for the tips i really appreciate it. Hes eatting his food now i guess he had to get used to the change. He didnt have an accident in his pen overnight. im gonna go buy a big cage for him today and attach it to his pen. My wife woke up around 7 took him outside and he did both 1 & 2 so thats good. Shes like he doesnt like to walk on his leash he would just sit down and then lay down. So im gonna have to work on that today.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
He's cute Tony - congrats!

How old is he?

I see you said you are going to buy a big kennel for him - the kennel should be able to accomodate him for sleeping comfortably at the size he will be as an adult. You don't want to get one that is too large, but you do want to use the insert they include to limit the amount of space he has now so that he won't want to use the other end as a toilet.

Also - get yourself a training collar..they look mean but they definitely are helpful.

You might need to have more patience to train a pup than you need to cycle a reef tank...and look at how long you have been prepping to get that set up! ;)

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Hey kathy thankyou hes a big boy@3 months old. There was no accidents last night so it looks like he doesnt want to mess
Up his space. He went from 12 to 730 this morning with no accidents in his area and he loves his bed... I jus feel really bad putting him in a crate but i was told they like the comfort but as i can see he looks very comfy on his bed lol

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Congratulations Tony! He is a beautiful boy.. You have already gotten tons of good advice, so I will only add: Don't yell, or scream, or hit the little guy when he messes up!!! Give him tons of praises when he does what you expect from him.;) Tons of love goes a long way.;)

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Your dog will love its crate more and more. The crate becomes a safe haven for them just as long as you use it in a positive way. You can teach him place and he will go to his crate ad lay down until you say ok to get back up. This will help when you have people come ova, or when ur eating so you dont have a begging dog.. This place called leerburg dot com has great products, great forum and even better customer service and knowledge on dog training...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: