seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Off-topic:

I just bought a generator I will use for my reef set up when I have a power outage and need to store some gas.

Can I store gas for Generator in 5 gallon salt bucket. Obviously, I won't use this bucket for fish again...

Thank you,

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Gasoline cans are made of a special polymer to withstand the corrosiveness of the gas that can cause the pail to melt. Go buy a 10$ gas can. They're made to withstand the pressure of the vapors that con off the fuel. A 5 gallon sealed can can explode if not vented and pressure builds up.

Also like Albano said dont store fuel Inside your home. It can be dangerous.

I've been. Firefighter for a while now and have seen some crazy ways to store fuel, most ending with a fire.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
What I wanted was a standby generator but they cost way too much. I found a model at Price club and it even had a remote start. I wanted to get one with a great guarantee. However, when I talked to Costco employees they told me that I can bring it back even years later as long as I have the receipt and they will either give me a new one or give me store credit, so I went with that one.

1) One more question. I don't really want to store gas, however, I have a couple of cars. So what about the idea of siphoning out gas from my cars as needed during an outage. This way I can get as much gas as I need and it won't get stale...

Again, just looking for input. Seems like a 5 gallon full tank on the generator will last 8 hours, so I am thinking I probably will need a couple of days supply, so I am estimating about 50 gallons, so I could get that from a couple of cars during an emergency... Just thinking I don't want to store that much gas...

Also, using one of those fuel stabilizers, can gas stay sealed for 1-2 years. Otherwise, I can always, cycle it for my lawn mowers, etc.

Thank you,

- Larry

TTSkipper

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) One more question. I don't really want to store gas, however, I have a couple of cars. So what about the idea of siphoning out gas from my cars as needed during an outage. This way I can get as much gas as I need and it won't get stale...

Again, just looking for input. Seems like a 5 gallon full tank on the generator will last 8 hours, so I am thinking I probably will need a couple of days supply, so I am estimating about 50 gallons, so I could get that from a couple of cars during an emergency... Just thinking I don't want to store that much gas...

Also, using one of those fuel stabilizers, can gas stay sealed for 1-2 years. Otherwise, I can always, cycle it for my lawn mowers, etc.

Thank you,

- Larry
If you have a newer car, some of them have a device in the filler tube for the gas tank that blocks you from putting a siphon hose down into the tank so I would test that before you plan on using that as an alternative to multiple cans. The other alternative is that there is very rarely here in the NE no warning about any prolonged power outages dues to storms so you could keep one can full with stabilizer in it and have a few empty spares that you fill up when word of a storm is coming. If the storm passes and they are not needed just use them to fill the car and empty them again.

Also the rating for the generator gas usage is at a certain load percentage. If you figure out how much of a load will be on the generator, then you can determine how long the gas will really last. You can use a device like a Kill-A-Watt to see the amperage used for each device and then add them up to determine what the full load will be.

Post back here if you need more assistance I am sure I or someone else can help with that.

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Based on what you said, then maybe, it would be better to just buy a bunch of gas cans and kind of like cycle each one in turn for things like my lawn mower, so that I keep taking the older one first. Was not thinking of doing this, but maybe this is the way to go...

Thank you,

- Larry

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
If you have a newer car, some of them have a device in the filler tube for the gas tank that blocks you from putting a siphon hose down into the tank so I would test that before you plan on using that as an alternative to multiple cans. The other alternative is that there is very rarely here in the NE no warning about any prolonged power outages dues to storms so you could keep one can full with stabilizer in it and have a few empty spares that you fill up when word of a storm is coming. If the storm passes and they are not needed just use them to fill the car and empty them again.

Also the rating for the generator gas usage is at a certain load percentage. If you figure out how much of a load will be on the generator, then you can determine how long the gas will really last. You can use a device like a Kill-A-Watt to see the amperage used for each device and then add them up to determine what the full load will be.

Post back here if you need more assistance I am sure I or someone else can help with that.
100%...cars have had anti-siphon devices for years...
most 'smaller' generators can usually only run for about 8 hours (or less) on a 'full load', and needs to be shut down They are not made to run 24/7
...connect only the essentials!
IE: a 6000w gen. is probably rated at ~5000w 'full load', and will run best/longest at max 2500w

Based on what you said, then maybe, it would be better to just buy a bunch of gas cans and kind of like cycle each one in turn for things like my lawn mower, so that I keep taking the older one first. Was not thinking of doing this, but maybe this is the way to go...
that's what I try to do...not to mention starting the generator once a month to make sure it's 'ready to go'
BTW...did they recommend running your new gen. for awhile to break it in?

Last edited:

papirus

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea! Storing gas in a separate 5-gallon salt bucket for your generator is a smart move. Just ensure it's tightly sealed, and safety first! Your reef setup will thank you during power outages. jumping shell

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: