Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
We went with http://www.healthypawspetinsurance.com/ earlier this year. Unfortunately, we had to exercise it about a month ago. Short version, AMC's bill (http://www.amcny.org/) was a bit over $3000. AMC sent the medical record on a Tuesday, we put in the paperwork for the claim on Wednesday, they cleared the payment same day, and check was received on Saturday. There's different plans you can choose from, we went with the 90% coverage + $250 deductible -- does not include checkups/examinations. Here's a few of their reviews, our review hasn't been posted yet; probably a screening process. But it was a VERY positive review.

http://www.petinsurancereview.com/healthypaws.asp

Last edited:

xobklynqt143

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98%
49   1   0
heres my 2cents....most of the plans dont pay check ups and deductibles are at 250, what is the chance something big is going to happen to your dog even then some have a percentage you need to pay. Here are some examples Yearly shots w/ exam is about 100-150$ which still wont be covered by your insurance because $60 of it is the exam the rest is shots so your not at your deductible. You need to get your dog fixed? go to http://www.muffins.org/spay.htm you can get your dog fixed for 65-85$ (these are good vets i take my dogs to them and theres a list you can choose from) Dental- some you have to pay extra fee for. I had my puggles done that cost me around $250. Earlier this year i had to had a lump removed from my dogs leg that cost me $600, if i had insurance heres what the breakdown would have been :
Surgery 600
Deductible -250
10% co insurance- 35
Total check they would have sent me: 315.00

However if you add the fact you need to pay your insurance monthly of 30 x 12 = 360. So after paying insurance and getting my money back from the surgery id still be in the neg $45. (hope this made sense lol)

Why not just open an account and put 30$ a month into it in case something happens with the dog the money is there?

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Kris, check into VPI Pet insurance. That is the one I will be going with for Athena.. I did the quick quote with the Comprehencive & Care Guard, and it looks like it will run me about $60 per month with a $100 yearly deductable on the Comprehencive. To have peace of mind I will pay this, and pray that I will never need the Comprehencive part of it. Scrap that one as well! Did a search for reviews, and the negative ones out weight the good by far! Back to the drawing board for me.
Yes, you never expect nothing bad to happen to your friend. But I am here to tell you that these things do happen, and I wish I had gotten it for my last two guys. Yava, (white & brindle in my avatar) developed swelling in one of her rear legs which I thought was an infection due to all the muck out here from sandy. Took her to the vet last Friday got the worse news ever.;( My girl has an extremely aggressive cancer in the leg. Recommendation: amputate the leg (if it hadn't moved to her lungs), chemo, radiation. That would run upwards of $6,000! Do I have thousands of $? NO Save yourself the pain of not being able to do the VERY BEST for your baby/best friend you will ever have!!!!!

Last edited:

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Hands down TruPanion. I deal with all of the companies and this company is BY FAR the best.
trupanion is best for your money and I recommend EVERY SINGLE ANIMAL OWNER get this.

Plus, didn't you get a Pomeranion? If so you NEED to have this. Trust me! Between the stifles (knees), heart, skin, eyes and teeth along with regular emergencies this will save you thousands down the road. One emergency can cost you thousands!

Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Something you guys need to be aware of with Pet Insurance.. You have to pay the bill first, then file the proper forms correctly filed. If it is not correctly filled you may be denied.
Bottom line is hopefully you have thousands laying around just waiting for something to happen, or get a credit card to be used strictly for vet bills. Once you get the reimbursement check you pay the credit card off. This way that cc is always available in case of emergency or urgent care needed for your pup.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
heres my 2cents....most of the plans dont pay check ups and deductibles are at 250, what is the chance something big is going to happen to your dog even then some have a percentage you need to pay. Here are some examples Yearly shots w/ exam is about 100-150$ which still wont be covered by your insurance because $60 of it is the exam the rest is shots so your not at your deductible. You need to get your dog fixed? go to http://www.muffins.org/spay.htm you can get your dog fixed for 65-85$ (these are good vets i take my dogs to them and theres a list you can choose from) Dental- some you have to pay extra fee for. I had my puggles done that cost me around $250. Earlier this year i had to had a lump removed from my dogs leg that cost me $600, if i had insurance heres what the breakdown would have been :
Surgery 600
Deductible -250
10% co insurance- 35
Total check they would have sent me: 315.00

However if you add the fact you need to pay your insurance monthly of 30 x 12 = 360. So after paying insurance and getting my money back from the surgery id still be in the neg $45. (hope this made sense lol)

Why not just open an account and put 30$ a month into it in case something happens with the dog the money is there?

Insurance for our furry friends is no different than the health insurance we carry for ourselves & our family's. It is for the catastrophic loss. Honestly, a $600 vet bill can be considered a lot, but the reality of it is, it isn't that much. God forbid the bill came to $3,000 (or more!) then offering veterinary treatment for your furry family member could potentially become an expense you might not be able to afford.

Bottom line, insurance is not meant for the small, every day, routine expenses. It is meant for the large, catastrophic expense.

Russ

djangom

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Russ you said it exactly right. I'm a vet and people ask me about pet insurance all the time. It seems to only pay off when really bad things come up (which sadly happens at times). Otherwise, for basic health care, it is just a payment plan, which for the most part, they are making more off of than you are. My advice is just get the catastrophic plan and save some money aside for all else.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: