James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I'm going to add to this thread as I search through hard drives and find more pictures.

My "neighborhood" in Utila from a prop plane. My place is the last house on the right on this picture. Google map Utila for a topdown of the island. The water on the bottom of the pic is the Caribbean and the water on the top is the lagoon in the middle of the island.

2ailblt.jpg

Night hammock with Salsa (neighbors dog that I have known since she was a puppy)

2gx4arp.jpg

Evil TINY lionfish on the reef right in front of my house... tried to spear it but it was too little and it escaped.

2qjj69u.jpg

Royal Grammas

birujd.jpg

Purple Barrel or tube Sponge

2ur6p8j.jpg

Single tang that got separated from its shoal.

dma1k5.jpg

Long Spine urchin and Arrow Crab

200d4rr.jpg

Chain-Link Moray (there is a huge group/family/whatever you call a whole bunch of eels living right on the jetty in front of my place)

10zu455.jpg

Juvenile French Angel

saursj.jpg

Caribbean Reef Octopus hiding

nnkzyv.jpg

Queen Angelfish

de7ktj.jpg

Coral (need ID on this one)

41190.jpg

Hawksbill Turtle (this guy was on my last air on the minutes of my last dive right off the dropoff in front of my house)

33xkkte.jpg

Caribbean Reef Squid

k2cxs2.jpg

Last edited:

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Nice pics..
is this the house that you rent out?

I remember a thread a few months ago and it was booking up fast.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Reefs

Yes it is. It has been doing pretty well. The site I use has really been awesome. I wish some people from MR would take advantage, so far only Ming has taken me up on going. He went when I went so we cohabitated for most of the trip till he met this pretty german girl in his dive course.... then i got my place to myself if you know what i mean. :lovestory

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Nice pics. ...do u guys cook or eat local foods there? I Iove island /Jamaican cuisine.

We cook, eat out at the numerous restaurants, throw parties on the beach with local food (fish frys and hog frys are most common, there is also a local stew called a bandu which is coconut water and fish and all types of good stuff like breadfruit cooked on open pots in the sand). The tourism is completely intertwined with the local culture which is the thing that makes it so cool. You will not find a place that is only tourists or only locals, everywhere is mixed. I will always be considered a tourist there but I know most of the locals and have been going since 2007.

Bry17nyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
A video from the house, past the public beach to the main road (paved part, im technically on the main road). This is the "commute" you take if you want to head to my favorite dive shop, there is also a dive shop 1 minute away from me. Sorry for the cheesy music, youtube sucks but it is better than the sound my vespa makes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxTj1PJ28Hg

That looks so beautiful and relaxing

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I am lucky. Equally as important to luck is being a calculated risk taker, I traveled to places that lots of other people said were too dangerous and had some of the best experiences of my life. When you put yourself out there the rewards are often tenfold. I would have never even heard of Utila if I didn't buy a one-way ticket to Guatemala City in 2005 not speaking any Spanish, met people, heard about different places, spent 10 months checking them out living off of 20$ a day in online poker winnings... not for everybody. I still get a lot of grief from my family and friends who don't understnad and never will who talk down to me about buying a place "in Honduras" and not getting a mortgage and living the typical indebted American life. Different strokes I guess.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: