Status
Not open for further replies.

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
If you don't notice the trend your LED goggles are on. As far as the T5's for sale 2 are going to larger fixtures and 1 is selling off everything.

Check your 3 major sites classifieds sections. A significant number of LED's for sale compared to 3-4 months ago. I'll confess I had a Vega color on order. Wound up cancelling that order as the performance in all areas other than power usage and growth could not compete with my previous MH and T5 experience and what I was looking at while researching the lighting for my cube.

The current trend I see is almost the same number of those switching to LED's are switching back from LED's. What I do find funny is a member here using the argument that a few are "Upgrading" to the latest version LED unit. Which is fine but at that point any savings one is trying to use as a reason to switch to LED's for the savings has gone out the window. And with the current trend in LED changes and advancements one could almost upgrade on a yearly basis. Pointless no?

I will say that Gary's 90 w 4 AI's is one of the nicest tanks I have ever seen. And he runs 4 AI's. I don't know why it looks as nice as it does. Unfortunately that tank is one of the worst to use as an argument for savings. At an original investment of $1600 for lights it would take a fairly long period to break even with the LED savings. This is comparing it to 2 250W MH's. Taking into account original new'used purchase price, electric useage and bulb changes your looking at 5 years to to start saving over a 2 bulb 500W MH setup. His current LED's will look like electronic dinosaurs compared to what will be available in 5 years. So at that point he needs to upgrade again. While we just keep changing bulbs and ballasts ;)

LED's are a viable option for some. They are FAR from the absolute MH/T5 replacement so many people would have you believe. I look at LED's as the Compact Discs of the aquarium trade. CD's sounded very harsh to those of us who were use to listening to our music on Albums for so many years. Over time our ears became accustomed to the sound quality of CD's but for me at least something was always missing. MH's are the Albums, T5's are the cassettes and LED's are the CD's. But man once you hear that warm, rich classic sound of an Album again you want to go back... And that is what a lot of users I think are doing... Stupid analogy maybe but that's the way I look at it.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I actually really like that analogy. My folks played albums in my home and I wish I could find a player that really worked (and wasn't a fortune because it's vintage).

Anyway, I just saw a tank where EVERYTHING was beautiful this past week. This person had 3 tanks. 2 with T5s (over 1-2- yr may have had MH over them prior) and 1 with LEDs (just blue and white for 1 yr).

The best colors (to my eyes) were on the T5 tank.

It may be because of the fact that the T5 unit had at least 2-3 color bulbs which offer our eyes more opportunity to see diverse color spectrum in the corals as opposed to the 1-2 color LED light fixture.

Anyway, I have MH and was thinking of going full LED on my tank mostly because of the hype (feeling like I don't have something that I should have because "everyone else is" and my MH dont show lightening and clouds), with excuses of it saving my light bill and saving on bulbs....

But my tank in general adds maybe $30 to my bill and planned obsolescence tells us that within 1-2 years my light fixture will be obsolete and I will feel like upgrading something that isnt broken.

That's economy.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I am not at all technically inclined, so all I can base my opinion is on what I am looking at daily. I went from 3 X 250 DE HQI 20k Ushios w/4 24 watt PC to Wingo's Cree Brick LEDs, and the only complain I have is that I cannot take decent pix because of the blue always come through the pix even when the whites are on. I kept my old MH/PC fixture just in case, but so far have not had a desire to go back. My tank inhabitants got wiped out by Sandy while the LEDs were on the tank a short 2 or so months, and my corals were fine until then. Current couple of sps frags are dull, but that is because of the dip. They are slowly getting their color back. Electric bill I will have to wait til the summer as that is when my LIPA bill was always crazy.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
The funny thing is that all the LED haters always throw in the costs of the fixtures and only the price of fixtures.

They tend to leave out the price of the bulbs that need to be replaced every lets say 9 months, as well as the cost of buying a chiller, running that chiller, running the a/c to keep the room the chiller is in from turning into a sauna and then the higher electric bills year round from the fixtures themselves without all the other stuff.

The t-5 for life thing is not famous it's just an arrogant signature.

Also, I'm not a T-5 or MH hater, I just think its retarded that someone creates thread after thread bashing many on this forum because they don't want to go with the lighting HE prefers.

And stargazer you want to talk that in 5 years someone's led fixture will look like a dinosaur? Most NEW T-5 fixturs look like a dinosaur the day ou bring it home to me plus most weigh a ton from the ballasts and such.

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
i think your a hater dont be mad at me because you have no color first thing i have never said anything about the cost if you want to pay 3000 buck for them go for it
i said from day one you run leds you have no color and you guys have proved my point lol
this thread was not starting a fight i was just wondering way there was so many for sale
you really dont save much money running leds if you do the math buddy
plus for the extra pennys a month i like color
your heaters are burning 24 hours a day
have a nice day
The funny thing is that all the LED haters always throw in the costs of the fixtures and only the price of fixtures.

They tend to leave out the price of the bulbs that need to be replaced every lets say 9 months, as well as the cost of buying a chiller, running that chiller, running the a/c to keep the room the chiller is in from turning into a sauna and then the higher electric bills year round from the fixtures themselves without all the other stuff.

Also, I'm not a T-5 or MH hater, I just think its retarded that someone creates thread after thread bashing many on this forum because they don't want to go with the lighting HE prefers.

And stargazer you want to talk that in 5 years someone's led fixture will look like a dinosaur? Most NEW T-5 fixturs look like a dinosaur the day ou bring it home to me plus most weigh a ton from the ballasts and such.

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Yes it's just you. LED lights dominate the market and that's why you see more of them on sale. I sold minr because I built myself a new DIY light designed specifically for my tank and couldn't be happier
dominate the market or just suck and people wasted there money on them ??
depends how you look at it lol
and the DYI stuff is a joke 90% of them look like a bees nest made out of wire
lol:Starwars:

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0

Jimmy if you actually READ my whole post you would see I DID include bulb replacement in my figures. I have the actual figures if you would like to see them.
And yes it will be a dinosaur. Suck it up. Gary runs Sol Blues over his tank. 70w max. You think that a 3 color WBB led fixture 5 years from now is going to be current? Seriously? This thread was going well till YOU decided to steer it the direction of all the other LED threads.
As far as the T5 fixtures and MH fixtures being outdated its called reaching a point where further development wouldn't yield any better results. Why change what works and isn't broken. The reason LEDs are constantly being updated.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
dominate the market or just suck and people wasted there money on them ??
depends how you look at it lol
and the DYI stuff is a joke 90% of them look like a bees nest made out of wire
lol:Starwars:

Sorry dude but you started it. If you think DIY LED lights people spend their time and knowledge building them are a joke, then you and your offensive little signature and avatar are. Here's a light I build for myself, does anyone else other than Jerl think it looks like bees nest (sorry for the crappy pic, the phone camera is all scratched from the work I do)?

2013-01-12_09-56-24_870_zps7d0abbe3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: