• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
So Scruffy (the pomeranian) is growing up, about 18 weeks old now. He's doing really good so far, knows how to sit, lay down, stay, and give you his paw. I'm also making him work for everything, for example before he gets food he has to sit and stay after our walk. He's been going for walks with me for the past two weeks and is still pretty excited by everything and everyone out there. He's pretty good on a leash except when someone has a stroller or shopping cart, they freak him out for whatever reason. When that happens I just keep walking and don't pay him any mind, should I be doing something different?

With the good, of course there's some bad. With this being our first dog, some thing are still tricky for us (we're bird people!). One of the most annoying things he does is beg for people food, which he isn't allowed to have. For the past couple of days we've been ignoring his begging and it seems to be getting better. Should we just be ignoring all of the bad behavior?

Our biggest concern is his nipping. He doesn't do it when everyone's just relaxing, it's when I walk around with slippers. Most of the time he'll ignore them and go about his business. Other times he'll get in front of me and try to block me from walking past him, I continue forward and he just keeps backing up. This is when he gets nippy, with my toes. Without slippers on, we're good 99% of the time unless he's overly excited. I want to put an end to the nipping regardless of what is on my feet. I guess I'm looking for first hand advice from you guys, cause when I've read on the internet seems inconsistent.

As I was typing this, he went to go sniff my slipper, I told him no, he backed up, barked twice and left the room.

Any advice on how to get his nipping to stop?:happysad:

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
When we adopted our little Rocky over 9 years ago, we were told to put some loose change in an empty beer can and to keep it with us all the time. And any time he did something that he wasnt suppose to do was to shake the can. I know some people might think it is cruel, but it does work. As far as him getting scared out doors, Its just a metter of time and praising that will get him over it.
Just look at it this way, if thier was a shopping cart that was 10 times your size, wouldn't you be scared too.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: