peteyboyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
If there is ever a vote for having a minimum number of posts before you can list "for sale" items in the Marketplace. It bothers me to see people who treat the forum like Craigslist. The only posts they have are in the Marketplace and they just joined the forum. These people are not "active members" of the forum in any way, shape or form. They join only to post their goods for sale. I like to "Cruise" the Marketplace just as much as the next guy, but there's more to this site than just that. IMO, allowing such transient behavior is devaluing the community as a whole. If there is ever a vote, count me "YAY"! Sorry, just my rant.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
This has been discussed several times already and the outcome is most people don't mind people joining to unload their stuff. It works out for both sides and you just have to remember to check any equipment to see if it works properly before you make a purchase.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I am hit or miss on this topic.

There are definitely people on here that all they do is sell. The people who come on line to break down there system or stuff like that is fine with me. I would bet that there are many many people who troll only and do not post.

My issue is more with the people that are long standing members who only sell.

There are vendors on here who pay to sell stuff. But people that only sell stuff, even if it is from their tanks, takes away from the vendors selling corals.

peteyboyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I understand that it can be equally beneficial to both party's. At the same time, we are a very active local hobbyist forum. This can be very tempting to people who just want to "unload their wares", usually at retail or above pricing. It devalues the integrity of the forum.I dont see anything wrong with a minimum post count to "keep things honest" to some degree. That's all.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I understand that it can be equally beneficial to both party's. At the same time, we are a very active local hobbyist forum. This can be very tempting to people who just want to "unload their wares", usually at retail or above pricing. It devalues the integrity of the forum.I dont see anything wrong with a minimum post count to "keep things honest" to some degree. That's all.

If its at retail or above, why would anyone buy it? If you did buy it shame on you for not doing your research. I have personally ran into two people that never knew this forum existed. They were both breaking down their systems and had no clue what to do with everything. One guy was going to take all of his coral and fish to Petco and get nothing in return. Also the Petco he was taking the corals to had no tanks for corals. So it was a win, win, win situation. He got some money in his pocket, members got good deals and all the fish and corals went to appropriate homes.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0

+1 we try to buy on mr, because your buying with confidence. someone with a march join date and 1 post, their is no confidence. i think their should be a minimum to weed out the craiglist scammers.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
If its at retail or above, why would anyone buy it? If you did buy it shame on you for not doing your research. I have personally ran into two people that never knew this forum existed. They were both breaking down their systems and had no clue what to do with everything. One guy was going to take all of his coral and fish to Petco and get nothing in return. Also the Petco he was taking the corals to had no tanks for corals. So it was a win, win, win situation. He got some money in his pocket, members got good deals and all the fish and corals went to appropriate homes.

Hope this isn't a sign of the apocalypse ... But I agree with Jaa

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Not everyone wants to share there the story to how they run there tank or give advise. I met some good reefers that have been on awhile but have little post counts. To each there own. And if they are not on here they dont know what used equipment is going for and sell there used stuff cheap which helps out many people on here. Before you buy from these guys with 5 posts gety there number and talk to them. You can usually tell right away what kind of person they are and you can make the judgement to buy. I for one like the 1 post sellers :)

Bikeboss11

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
+1 for jaa..... I am not much of a seller, I mostly do the buying and I remember the feeling I got when I first joined RC and had to complete the 50 post rule just to visit the FS/FT thread.... It took forever lolol because at the time I was a greenhorn, and I didn't want to give wrong advice nor did I want to post stupid questions.... It was a total nightmare for me lol....

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0

I agree 100% with this..... This is the person who wants to sell some stuff to may be get out of the hobby.

But I am sure we all know the people that if you check their threads that they are only selling corals. This is the part that bothers me a bit. For someone to be here only to make money. And I'm sorry even if the corals were growing in their tank to sell them at the prices that they are. When someone tells me "ok bills are piling up got some frags to sell" Well this is someone who is selling for profit!

Not to make a few bucks to buy salt or new RO filters or even maybe a new coral, but to pay for tuition or car payments or insurance! This is someone selling for profit, even if just from their own tanks.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
I cant take it when people buy "LE" corals not because they like them and how beautiful they grow but to cut snip it off of them and sell for close to what the sites sell them for. Usualy the sites that sell these corals let the corals heal for a few weeks then sell. These guys cut them stick them on a frag plug and post all with in 5 minutes. But it is what it is. You need to be careful on who you deal with and put 2 and 2 together and use your best judgement. Usually when people buy these corals that are in it for the beauty will pass on the coral at a much lower price then how much they purchased it. Usually its not a first time poster who tries to make a profit

annanymous

Female Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I Personally just joined so have barely any post count at all but the very first place I posted was in the Marketplace since im looking to buy a tank. As long as its helpful to both parties I see no reason people should not be able to post in the selling forums with low post counts IMO

Flushtown Reefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 75%
9   3   0
If you want post counts to buy/sell go to reef central. Don't mess this site up with that crap. If people want to sell corals for profit, unload equipment or whatever then so be it. If you don't like the price then don't buy it. Not everyone wants or has the time to sit here chatting all day to bring up post counts. Just buy responsibly

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I guess it's just me then. That's why I just give most of my stuff away. I view most of the members here like an extended family, whether I know them or not.
I have been on these forums for 10 years or so and I also don't think I ever sold anything, but I have given a lot of stuff away.
As for post counts, I have no idea how many posts I have and won't know until I hit the "Post Quick Reply" button" But I think it may be a good Idea to have a post count so people don't just come on here just to sell stuff.

peteyboyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
If you want post counts to buy/sell go to reef central. Don't mess this site up with that crap. If people want to sell corals for profit, unload equipment or whatever then so be it. If you don't like the price then don't buy it. Not everyone wants or has the time to sit here chatting all day to bring up post counts. Just buy responsibly
We have vendors in here that pay good money every year to advertise and sell here. Its a slap in the face to them when someone sells for profit and doesn't pay for the right to do so.
And yes, you dont have to make the purchase if you dont like the price. But, there are new people to the hobby that really dont know any better and get "taken" by these "fly by night" sellers.

bigcapct

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
69   0   0

+1!! Don't want this great forum to turn into RC

peteyboyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
There are rules on these sights for a reason. We all don't have to like them but, we have to obey them.
If we dont like them, we can bring it to public opinion and it may or may not change. We still have to follow them.
As far as joining RC, I did a few months back. I have since not used the account not because of marketplace rules, but because they are nationwide/worldwide. I like the feel of a more localized forum.
IMO, a minimum post count shouldn't apply to members that want to buy. It should be geared more towards people that want to sell. Just to keep some honesty.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: