beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Planning on buying a smoker tonight, and cooking up some pulled pork over the weekend, then some brisket soon thereafter. I'm pretty adept in the kitchen and on the grill, but I've never smoked before, so who has some tips, tricks, wood preference, etc. that they want to share?

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I use all kinds of woods, I like apple the best for pork. I also use hickory a lot as well. Try messing around with combos and even other cuts, I smoked prime rib once. It wasn't bad at all actually but it's not really a cut made for smoking.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
i have a weber kettle cooker that i use to make pulled pork. i use charcoal and hickory. about 3-4 hours, comes out good. i stay away from mesquite, a little strong.

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
All purpose rub recipe.
1 cup smoked paprika
1 cup chili powder
1 cup granulated onion
1 cup granulated garlic
.5 cup celery salt
.5 cup cumin
2 cups sugar
1.5 cups kosher salt
2 tbs cayanne pepper
2 tbs oregano.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I'm planning on going with an inexpensive propane one for now. If I get into it, I'll probably step up to a bigger one at some point.

I was looking at apple wood, but yeah I may try a bunch. Apple and hickory sounds awesome together.

The rub sounds good, but I'd have to sub in some brown sugar. I tend to dry rub ribs that I'm grilling, so I've got a few rub recipes up my sleeve.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Turns out I may have to go to a client tomorrow, but if I do, I'll smoke on Sunday.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: