jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
She only digs in 2 spots in my backyard and I'm getting tired of filling the holes back. Is there a safe remedy to put in those 2 spots?

Thanks in advance,
James

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
How about catching the dog doing it, and then discipling the dog? Dog needs to learn NOT to dig. May sound harsh but my favorite training mechanism was a shock collar for my dog when I had her. Dog learned and was amazing how she acted with the collar on.

jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
How about catching the dog doing it, and then discipling the dog? Dog needs to learn NOT to dig. May sound harsh but my favorite training mechanism was a shock collar for my dog when I had her. Dog learned and was amazing how she acted with the collar on.

I did that when she had accidents in the house, now she let's us know when she has to go out. I'm gonna try that method. Even though it maybe alittle harsh but its tough love

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Dogs need to be trained... While it may be tough love, you need to do it.

I had a 92 lbs German Shephard and my daugher who was like 5 at the time was able to give the dog a command and she would listen.

You have to show the dog that you are the leader of the pack, submission by dogs is normal. So be the ALPHA!!! Show that dog who is boss.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0

+1 i used a collar on the lowest setting. you gotta break that habit now.

jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Dogs need to be trained... While it may be tough love, you need to do it.

I had a 92 lbs German Shephard and my daugher who was like 5 at the time was able to give the dog a command and she would listen.

You have to show the dog that you are the leader of the pack, submission by dogs is normal. So be the ALPHA!!! Show that dog who is boss.

My kids give her commands as well and she listens

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Shock collars are for people that don't know how to properly train a dog. You might as well beat your dog over the head when it does something bad if you use a shock collar.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
shock collars first put out an audible beep then a shock. the only gets shocked in the beginning, then reacts to the beep. you can beep only, or beep then shock.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Shock collars are for people that don't know how to properly train a dog. You might as well beat your dog over the head when it does something bad if you use a shock collar.

That is just an ignorant comment. There are many schools of thought on dog training just as reef keeping.

There are certain actions that you need to address while the dog is not close enough for you to give either positive or negative reinforcement.

If you know what you are talking about you know that you must give the reinforcement while the dog is doing the action.

No one said to use a shock collar for every type of training.

I am sure that the person who gave me the advise knows what they are talking about since this person trained many many many dogs including Police Dogs.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
That is just an ignorant comment. There are many schools of thought on dog training just as reef keeping.

There are certain actions that you need to address while the dog is not close enough for you to give either positive or negative reinforcement.

If you know what you are talking about you know that you must give the reinforcement while the dog is doing the action.

No one said to use a shock collar for every type of training.

I am sure that the person who gave me the advise knows what they are talking about since this person trained many many many dogs including Police Dogs.
That's funny, I know a few dog trainers and I have never seen one use a shock collar. Including police dogs. It was not an ignorant comment, you are using pain to deter the action of the dog. If you don't understand how a shock collar works maybe you shouldn't have a dog. I personally have 4 dogs and they all will respond to hand signals only. No need to even say a word or sound, all 4 never even saw a shock collar let alone know what it looks like. If you know a trainer using a shock collar I would avoid using that trainer or taking my dog to that trainer.

roc5288

ReefersDelight
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
What kind of dog is it. Please read on shock collars before you decide on getting one. some people swear by them some don't.I myself i don't. I have three dogs oneis a Neo mastiff. It is not recommended to use such a collar with them. So read before you decide. Just like our hobby something that works for you may not work for me.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I personally have 4 dogs and they all will respond to hand signals only.

Wow that is amazing you are better than the Dog Whisperer. What happens when your dog starts to dig a hole in the yard and is not able to see your hands?? Yelling at the dog will not help since it does not respond to voice commands.

My dog (rest her soul) followed both verbal and hand signals.

Like I said there are different schools of thoughts for everything. Just because you don't agree does not make it wrong.

So direct to the topic, how would you tell the OP to get their dog to stop digging in the yard??

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: