SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Anyone running a yamaha hpdi outboard? I was out yesterday running about 3900 rpm and the engine surged for a second and went back to normal. It happened about twice for s second.I changed plugs lower unit oil water seperator the impeller got everything greased.I think its a fuel problem from ethanol,I know these motors get this just wondering if anyone had the same problem and how they fixed it thanks.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I had that problem, I forget the additive I use all the time. I will look in the garage later. I use it every time I fill up the boat. I have twin 250's on my Grady. I also had to use it on the 225 I had prior to the new boat with these motors.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I use the additive every single time and I haven't had any problems since. I won't run the motors if I don't add it in. I had the first motor for 7 years and never had a problem while using the additive and I have had these new motors for 2 seasons now and no problem either.

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
yea i ran last fall not useing it .i added it when i took the boat home from freeport ran full speed to bk not a hitch.yesterday was the first time i noticed it I did some reading online I will continue to use additive but ill see what I can take apart and clean also.Thanks

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
No Rpm Diped Like The BOat stuttered
RPM dipping sounds like a little water in the fuel. Surging means it sped up and would be harder to diagnose.
Did you fill it before storing for the winter and add fuel stabilizer or dry gas?
My marina has problems with ethanol and I add an additive for that but I am not sure if it does anything.
Where do you boat? I am in the Sound

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
i PUt New Gas Additive And Staybil Its Gotta Be Ethanol I Heard These Hpdi Are Sensitive To It. Seperator Was New This Season. I Read The Fuel LInes Have Filters And InliNe Micro.Screens.I Got YaMaha Book So I Will See What I Can Take Apart And Clean If Needed.Im In Geretsen Beach Brooklyn.just Sux I Just Spent 1200 Changing Stuff For Maintenance .This Just Hapened Sunday Ill See Sat If It Does It Again Then Ill Start Lookimg For Dirt Or Build Up .Im Not Ready To Get Robbed By Yamaha Tryimg To Diagnose Till I Tried Every Option..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: