cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Anyone have any leads on motorcycle parking? I work at Columbia and will be moving soon to BK Heights. Really anywhere with easy subway access is fine. I would like to bring my bike up but am having a hard time finding parking. I guess with the nice weather here everyone is doing the same.

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
That is what I am concerned about. One of the motorcycle only lots is 200/mo. On Amsterdam between 116 and 117 there is an overpass with racks to lock to and lots of motorcycles (basically motorcycle parking).

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
you got gps tracking on the bike lojack ?

the car lojack didn't work for us.....my wife's car was stolen and we reported it within 4 hrs......never recovered.

never had a bike lojack but i can't imagine where they would hide the unit on a bike.

disc brake lock worked for me....my zx10 wet was over 500 lbs, if they can pick it up and load it into the van then there isn't much you can do.

Last edited:

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I used to live on 120th and 8th. If we are talking about the same space (the overpass connecting the hospital to columbia) the parking isnt legal. You can park there but periodically they come and cut the locks, load all the bikes onto a flat bed and tow you to west 38th street. It is only about 300 to get your bike out (which is actually pretty cheap parking if you only get nailed once or twice a year) but your bike can definitely get messed up in the process. Just pull your plate and park on a side street.

As for brooklyn, my brother lives on Joralemon and I park there overnight all the time and have never had a problem.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
that was actually the owner had a camera to watch the bike also, this is just to show even with a disk lock and chain on the rear how quick it is for these guys, and it being a heavy bike dont matter, 3-4 man crews grab and throw them in the back of a van

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
wow, that sucks.

FWIW, i have been riding and parking on the street in the city for a few years now. I would be much more worried about someone knocking you over then about getting it stolen. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I know a bunch of people who ride and that isn't really the primary concern.

Think of it this way, you can get decent comprehensive insurance with a 500 dollar deductible for less than 60 per month. Getting your bike stolen will only cost you $500 or so. Getting knocked over can cost a fortune in dent repair/carb flooding/etc and is a much more frequent occurrence.

Reef Art

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
agreed on above. here's a shot taken by a friend who I thoroughly lambasted after finding out he didn't have the decency to pick up the guys bike.

panidown.jpg

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
wow, that sucks.

FWIW, i have been riding and parking on the street in the city for a few years now. I would be much more worried about someone knocking you over then about getting it stolen. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I know a bunch of people who ride and that isn't really the primary concern.

Think of it this way, you can get decent comprehensive insurance with a 500 dollar deductible for less than 60 per month. Getting your bike stolen will only cost you $500 or so. Getting knocked over can cost a fortune in dent repair/carb flooding/etc and is a much more frequent occurrence.

My bike doesn't have fairings on the sides and I have frame sliders. If something were to happen I have great insurance but the mods I have done to it (although covered) would make me cry.

Davidl919

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I have mine at Yonkers self storage, about 3 minutes from cross county mall. In one of their units I was able to store about 12 boxes, my FJR1300 and my friends S1100rr, for about 100 a month. Cant beat that. Indoors, stable temp, cameras and a few doors between crooks and the bike. My only issue is they get bombarded with mosquitoes in that area.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: