cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I received a letter today from a car dealership in LI saying that I was denied purchasing or leasing a vehicle. I have never heard of or been to this dealership before (not even in the market for a vehicle). I called them and they looked up my last name and last four of my social and said they couldn't find anything. Any ideas on what to do from here? Has my identity been stolen?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I would also be contacting the credit bureaus and getting a report.

I also would not divulge even the last 4 of your SS number to anyone. If they couldn't find it by your name, then have no need for further info.

Are you sure you were actually speaking with the real dealership?

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I agree on the credit report to check for activity, something similar happened to me about 2 years ago. It turned out that someone bought a Mercedes Benz in Florida under my name, I found out when I went to co-sign for a student loan for my niece. It's insane because the guy got caught. I've been using Credit Secure from American Express ever since. It took almost a year to resolve the problem going back and forth with TransUnion and the other agencies and to take it out of my credit report. Good luck with everything.

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Thanks for all the comments. It does list the credit agency and I called the company who sent the letter on behalf of the dealership but they were already closed. I called the dealership from the number on their website (major dealership) not sure the position of the guy I talked to but seemed in charge. I will continue to see what I can find out.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: