Rating - 100%
32   0   0
So I was at the park today flying my Align TREX 600 RC Heli. I put the helicopter on the ground and stand away from it, about 15 feet away from it. I start to put the throttle up, and at about 80% throttle (while the heli was still on the ground) the blade head snaps off and both blades shoot out east and west. (I was standing in the south direction). I mean these blades are 23 inches each. They SHOT out at about 400 mph east and west. It was a LOUD blast. One hit a nearby tree and the other hit the fence. I mean if those blades shot out north and south that would have been really bad. Im happy nothing serious happened, I was in complete disbelief when that happened.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
A lot. It's not like I'm an inexperienced flier. I check everything all the time I've never even heard of this happened. The screw that holds both heads together inside the blade mounts blew and both blades shot out.

Nothing was damaged except the head which took 10 minutes to put a new one on. It's just such a rare occurrence and I am actually lucky to be alive right now because that carbon fiber blade could have went right through me.

A little background on the heli though. It is a Trex 600 which I modded to fly like a drone so it gets about 15 mile range and I put video goggles on and I could fly anywhere. It has GPS and everything. It tells me the speed and altitude at all times as well as an arrow to where my waypoint and home is set. I worked on it for about a year so this just happened on a test flight so I'm glad it wasn't when I was going long range.

How many times have you flown it?

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Here are some pictures I took. In one of them you could see it in the UAV mode which displays all important information needed to fly long distance. The other is in Pelham Bay Park at about 175' at the very back of the picture you can see what looks to me like the NYC skyline but I am not entirely sure.

Attachments

• IMG_0487.jpg
    IMG_0487.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 215
  • Screen Shot 2013-05-04 at 2.02.38 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-05-04 at 2.02.38 PM.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0581.jpg
    IMG_0581.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 219
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Not worth it. On the other hand this thing right here " http://www.ebay.com/itm/300878493874?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 " is probably the most well spent 55 bucks in the rc hobby. Its so fun. Really nice quality, doesn't seem cheap at all and it is more of a realistic experience then one of those $20 helis. You could actually learn on this and advance to a real big quadcopter. Although absolutely nothing like flying a single rotor heli like the one I have, it's a simple, cheap, and extremely fun.

That is pretty frekin sweet but 1 stupidly expensive hobby is enough for me !!

How bout that toy heli they sell at 7/11 now worth $20 to play around with it?

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: