tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hey there,

So, I'm currently on a 4 day long out of state field trip with current 7th graders, that I will teach next year (8th grade).

They are a great bunch of students and I am feeling like they would be a great group to take on one of those behind the scenes Aquarium Overnights.

1. Other than simply going to the website and seeing if I can book such a thing, does anyone have any contacts at any relatively close Aquarium for an overnight tour of an amazing aquarium?
Total students: 72 max (if I take the entire grade) or say 40 max if I take the students that demonstrate certain behaviors to earn such a trip.

1A. I also want to set up speaker series/workshops for my students/entire middle school next year: various professions, character building, skill building, etc. I now teach in Brooklyn, NY so, no one has to worry about going to NJ anymore! If you have a skill/profession you want to speak to nice middle schoolers about then let me know (i.e. how to set up bank accounts/be fiscally responsible, what kind of papers are expected in your college classroom (for professors, etc), how to do (whatever it is you do), etc.

2. My current 8th graders are about to graduate. Next week I want to run a raffle for various student qualities.

I want one of the raffle prizes to be a 10g freshwater tank set up (I will also provide up to 5 hrs of education for student and family, 2 home visits for set up and maintenance, as well as the set up and over the phone/skype maintenance help/troubleshooting).

I am in need of folks to help fund this through donation of little aquarium trinkets you probably do not need:

1 10g tank
substrate for 10 g tank
cool tank decor
1 20-40g HOB filter
1 heater
1 air pump and bubbling tube
1 light fixture w/bulbs
(fish appropriate for 7th/8th graders to take care of in a 10g tank that is not likely to be as large a tank as they ever have. I will work with the student/family to research the fish and its care)
Fish food

If I can get enough parts to give/do this for one student then that's great!
If I can get enough to provide a full set up for more than 1 that's even better!!!!

I of course will only provide this to folks that not only earn raffles to put in for the prize but that have family permission.

Let me know what you think.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
So once again for a smaller recap:

1. Field trip connections with aquariums/science investigations (CSI, etc is fine)
1a. Come talk to middle schoolers about important life things
2. Help provide 10g freshwater set ups to kids that are really into it but need to be given the set up

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
tuni,

i may have a titanium heater and one or two coral skeletons if your interested. i also have a cpr bak skimmer that is in the freebie section/post. it needs a collection cup as i dont know where it is and possibly a new pump. i havent tried it out but its a maxi jet easy enought to find

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hm, thanks for the interest so far.
I definitely appreciate it!

Reptiles: I do not want to risk giving an 8th grader a pet that should have/routinely has long life spans. I bet they would love the idea of having a reptile more than having it 20 years down the line! Thank you though

Lecture: Sure!!! What kind of lecture would you be interested in doing?

Heater and Coral skeleton- I'll definitely tank the heater. The coral skeleton, can it just be washed well and then used in a freshwater set up as decor? If so, that's great!
The skimmer we wont need. I want to keep it as simple and low cost as possible in the present and in the future for the students and their families.

Thanks folks!!

drej424

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
We'll donate a book for your raffle. I was thinking of The Conscientious Marine Aquarist, but that wouldn't be good for fw. If you suggest something, I'll send it to you.

Kudos to you for caring so much about your students!

Denise

ELMSS12

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
If we can work out a place to meet I have a 10 gallon setup with heater, HOB filter, couple decorations and the light canopy. The light is not working but haven't had time to look at whats wrong. There is a blue gourami about 3 inches that goes with the tank. He has been with us about 3 years now. Let me know, just want it to got to good home. DIY cabinet included also.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: