Hotdog

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am an artist in Manhattan who makes prints of the tracks of live animals. I am really interested to see if it is possible to make a print with an octopus using octopus ink.

I'm looking for someone who would be interested to see if this can be done. The octopus would only be outside of the tank for less than a minute, and the whole process would probably take less than an hour.

Please let me know if you think this is possible, and even better, if you think you can help out!

Thanks,

Jemila

Hotdog

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought about that, but I would feel pretty uncomfortable buying, using then killing the octopus.

Another possibility is that I could buy an octopus online and have it delivered to someone who'd like one as a pet. I'd pay for the octopus and shipping, and in return be able to make the print.

Any takers for a free octopus? You can choose the species!

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
The costs and upkeep of an octopus far outweighs the demand for one. As they are predators and cannot be kept with most local setups. These need proper tanks for care. Purchase the live octopus and then bring to an asian restaurant as they will know what to do with it.

:q

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
He won't get far and won't leave anything other than a smear on the floor.

What you want is to somehow get a footprint/track mark from him in the water. Your not throwing an animal like a dog or a cat in the water to get their track marks are you? why do that with the octopus.

Also, I'm sure there is someone on the east coast that has an octopus that you can say hi to and put something non toxic into their tank to get a track mark with. Looks like you have a bunch of things to think about.

Jhoehlein

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You're overthinking this. Like tosiek said an octopus will leave little more than a smear on the paper, not having any support structures and all. Plus the octopus will not enjoy it much. Here's a better way to do it:

1. Befriend an octopus. The bigger the better. It's helpful to befriend whoever is keeping the octopus beforehand.

2. Shake hands with the octopus, like so.

photo.jpg

3. A large enough octopus can latch on pretty hard; this Giant Pacific left two rows of circular hickies up my arm. You're aiming for this.

4. Color in your hickies with ink. If you wanted to keep it quasi-authentic you could get some squid ink in a jar from a specialty food store, which is normally used for making squid ink pasta.

5. Press your arm onto the canvas. Congrats! You've now transcribed octopus tracks.

doorag1

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
You're overthinking this. Like tosiek said an octopus will leave little more than a smear on the paper, not having any support structures and all. Plus the octopus will not enjoy it much. Here's a better way to do it:

1. Befriend an octopus. The bigger the better. It's helpful to befriend whoever is keeping the octopus beforehand.

2. Shake hands with the octopus, like so.

photo.jpg

3. A large enough octopus can latch on pretty hard; this Giant Pacific left two rows of circular hickies up my arm. You're aiming for this.

4. Color in your hickies with ink. If you wanted to keep it quasi-authentic you could get some squid ink in a jar from a specialty food store, which is normally used for making squid ink pasta.

5. Press your arm onto the canvas. Congrats! You've now transcribed octopus tracks.
just wanted to say that that was pure genius

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: