Clink51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Looking to get certified in SCUBA. Specifically i want to do cold water and deep water. Anyone here dive during the summer...or...winter :yikes: Would be cool to get a group together for certification, since we are all in nyc, or to go diving in the summer

xobklynqt143

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98%
49   1   0
funny you should post this im thinking about signing up for a class the end of the month by ocean horizon (its for a NAUI cert from what i read it goes a little more indepth as to "hows" of diving but also tries to cover the "whys" behind the "hows' so that a diver who not only understands how to do something but also the reasons behind it can make better decisions than one who only understands the "how".) the course is for 5 weeks for 3 1/2hrs every tuesday night.

brand

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I've done for many yrs in many parts of the world but wouldn't do here its nasty in these waters... if you go to Caribbean you can take day class and be in water sane day. I don't recommend going deeper than 50ft.. that s for the pros not hobbyist......you can also get certified there but I never wanted to spend my whole vacation diving..its very cool...get certified but dive on vacation...it's the biggest fish tank you will ever see...very awesome...for some other wise.. my wife panicked and shot up fast that's very dangerous that's why keep to safe level..till ready for deep if that's what You want to do.

xobklynqt143

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98%
49   1   0
yea this water is filth!!! we are going away in a few months thats why i want to get certified now i was thinking about doing a class there but i rather just do it here and not do a in an out class thats rushed i want to know what im doing (even though i have dived about 10ish times already ) god forbid something happens or goes wrong i want a very good understanding of what to do and how to fix it lol

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
You can split the class into different sections.
The classroom sessions and pool sessions you can take here in NY. The open water parts you can do on your vaca. It takes a day or two at your destination and you do not have to dive in NYC effluence.

Klewis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
You can do the open water dives at Dutch Springs. I had a nice time there, you can camp and dive in the same place. Clean water and some fun stuff under water. If you want cold that's your place.

Jenna X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
I've only done it once in Jamaica and I've caught the bug. If you guys find a good deal for certification here in NYC I'd love to join.

I've heard you can get certified while on vacation, how does that work in such a short period of time?

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
You can split the class into different sections.
The classroom sessions and pool sessions you can take here in NY. The open water parts you can do on your vaca. It takes a day or two at your destination and you do not have to dive in NYC effluence.

FMF0331

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
199   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_8528_crop.jpg
    IMG_8528_crop.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 92

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Don't look for a good deal. Look for a shop that does the type of diving you want to do.

If you want to do cold water / technical diving, go to Village Divers. Most, if not all of the other shops in the area do mostly warm water diving. If you're sure you want to do cold water, you can do your open water cert in conjunction with your drysuit and nitrox certs. You'll need both if you want to dive locally.

crox99

Audi Sport
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
If you like I can check if my friend is still running classes. I got PADI certified 15 years ago and I did my first open water in April right off the rockaways. I remember it was cold!!!! The classes were given in Brooklyn.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: