Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Hey guys another question for those who know....

My question is which is better to do. (I changed my thermostat to the insteon wireless thermostat so i can control with my home automation setup and receive alerts if house gets to hot or to cold)

Option A

Turning central ac on 72 when away and when i get home turning it down to 70.

Option B

This option seems crazy to me but here it is

Turning central ac on 78 when away and when i got home turning it down to 70. (this option seems like it would cost me a fortune)

Also a few things to note... I have just replaced my entire HVAC system to an energy efficient york system single stage @ 13 seer and a 3 and 1/2 ton coil with a 95% efficient heating system.

Also i am in the process of making this house a smart home little by little...

Have been changing lights a little at at time when the cree bulbs are on sale. Im at about 60% less vs other bulbs in my home....

BTW the tank has nothing to do with this ;). i ran the numbers and it cost me about 20 bucks a month to run in electric...

Thanks everyone :grouphug: :groupflip

Last edited:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Mine is also automated. I turn everything off when I am out, and when I come home my wife tells me that she is to hot or to cold and I automatically adjust the temperature (or throw out the garbage)
I also installed solar power on my house and I also installed a condensing boiler that saves me about $4,000.00 a year in heating costs compared to my old oil burner.

1UCKY

Niko's Dad
Rating - 100%
128   0   0
I have a thermostat that sets itself automatically to "away" when I'm not home (coldest set to 50 and hottest set to 90). My place never goes beyond 80 when I'm not home. I recently replaced my whole HVAC system along with a new Nest thermostat so I don't know how it'll do in the winter time. It automatically turns on when I get home and cools to 77 (has built in motion sensor).

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I don't have any of the hi-tech AC thermostat , so I can't play with different temp settings when I'm not home - but usually 76 does it for me

Thats what it was last year for me too. Just got june to july bill 198 bucks. Im happy :). Still not done changing all my lighting to leds n changing my bedroom tv from lcd to led. Wife likes it on for an extra 1hr n half :sigh:.....

NewfiDog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tony it depends how long your going to leave the 8 degree swing. Usually once you pass 6 degree swing for 6 or more hours it ends up costing you more money. You can find all the studies done on this on line. Heat or cool if your looking at an 8-12 hour work day make the swing more like 4-6 degrees. I know some people will disagree but it has been proven.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I keep my temp at 75 all time and 77 when away and just got my new bill $427. I was expecting a lower bill since AC really not on and been a cool summer. Especially at night in 60's.

Way too cold ... 78* should be fine when you're home and 80* when you're out... According to NYSEG each degree less will add a few percentage points to your bill. 3* higher could save about 10%

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
russ i leased for 25 years i got a great great deal which i can't talk about. Employee pricing ;).... it cost me nothing out of pocket and i will be saving a bunch of money. Using a roof that i don't use hmmmm..... Why not :biggrin:

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
newfidog i think the same way as its def. a waste to have the ac run much longer and harder to bring down a temp from lets say 78 - 72 rather then keep it stable at 72 all day long. i might be raising it to 74 after i buy a clip on fan for my sump.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: