thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
traveling to a resort in Punta Cana and i read online (travel forum type thing) that the airport is a disgrace. I can deal with it being slow and hot, but i read that your *&$# will get taken while going through security checks or the xray machine when you put your belongings in the plastic tub.... im traveling with my kids who are 7/5 yoa

im of course not excited and worried I will have to put my travel pen through someones face now. (TSA never flags me for my metal "pen" commonly referred to as the assassin)
anyone been to DR recently? care to share your experience

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
i was their about 6 yrs ago. the airport is like something from Gilligans island. the ride to the resort is like going through a war zone. even in the resort you have to watch your stuff. we had towels and my daughters friends bag stolen on the beach. they still have locals working their, so beware. i,v been going to the jersey shore my whole life and never had a thing stolen. then when we got home one of our bags had a card in it that read, your bag was randomly searched and their not liable for damages. they tore the liner and plastic out of it. it was ruined.
other than that the resort was very nice.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
travel smart, travel safe And have fun.

leave your rolex at home
leave the 5k cash at home used cc
leave the $1800 camera at home, use $100 digital camera
use the in room safe
dont take your phone to the pool or beach, $600 phone is a target in every corner of the world, not just DR

as long as its an enclosed international resort you will be fine

if you are going local and staying at aunt Ritas b&b then thats at your own risk
DR had beautiful beaches and a world recognized poverty level

enjoy, dont worry be happy have a blast

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
It's a resort, I was aware of the driving to resort being interesting , but I find lost tropical spots to be like that even parts of Aruba that I've driven through. I'm safe with the Rolex, no one will want the 12 year old g shock. I'm not a big CC guy, but it isn't worst idea not that I read that

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
My cousin got married in Punta Cana last year and my wife and I went down with a ton of my family members.

We stayed at the resort almost the entire time. The ride from the airport is sad more than anything. If you're on a bus, you'll be fine.

Everyone we came into contact with was super nice.

Most will tell you to stay on the resort, but that's true of many Caribbean islands. I have to partially agree with d5332... Don't bring expensive, flashy jewelry and etc, and be smart with your expensive things. Lock up your valuables also. The DR is beautiful, but you have to be smart.

That said, my personal feeling is TIP WELL. The people who work there make almost nothing and work terribly hard. Have fun! We all had a blast.

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
That's bashing my country saying we a bunch of thieves

and apparently ignnnnant too.. :splitspin

thirty just be smart about it and you'll be fine, a coworker just got back and she said as long as you stay in the resort you're safe. You might want to brush up on your rosetta stone though.

Waleedwale1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
294   0   0
I've been to the DR and agree with him... He is just using common sense, and listing precautions. I would tell the people the same thing if they were going to the Middle East, where I am from. It isn't offensive, it is just the truth that certain parts of the world are more dangerous than others.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I didn't mean to offend anyone, if I did I dont honestly care: I am traveling somewhere I have never been and read some poor reviews about some problems other travelers had in the airport. The post was nothing more than that, D posted some valid things that would hold true for almost any travel destination. I posted it here because we rely on each other experience for fish tanks, why not see who has been to the destination and can provide some insight. Nothing more. Nothing less

Raul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
I go to Punta Cana every winter. The airport is fine. There is a "tax" you have to pay before you leave the airport. It $10 per person not sure if children have to pay.

We take carry on. Not sure how long you are going for but we make sure we pack light so that there is no need to wait for bags.

Make sure you take the resort shuttle. There are a bunch of people trying to give you rides. Make sure you find the shuttle driver BEFORE you walk out of the airport.

Doesn't matter where you are. Valuables at the beach are begging to be stolen. Take your sun glasses and your towel. That's all you need. Enjoy where you are but be careful... Every tourist is at risk. Again it doesn't matter where you are. Hundreds of tourist get robbed in times square every day because they are paying more attention to the lights than whats going on around them.

Take singles. Americans have a bad rep of being crappy tippers. Don't be that guy. I grew up with Dominicans and when I go there they tell me people from the U.S get the worst treatment because they rarely tip. I take $100 in singles. After a day or two I get better service than most.

Take a lot of pictures and have fun.

If you ever go to Spain ill draw you up another list.... that's the Summer destination. August 1st cant get here fast enough lol...

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
^^^ glad to hear it, but i dont have either of those.
just wanted to hear some experiences as its a popular destination and to be that it must be a great place, which is why we are going. I guess reading reviews is similar to reading reviews about glass cages on here, if you had a problem you will let as many people know as possible

jdino

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buddy. Vacations are supposed to be relaxing. Try to step out of work mode and breathe. Remember you are in a foreign country not really known for its fair system of justice if you lose it there I can't bail you out. It will take the State Department. I know it will be hard because you have your family. And tell them I said this is crazy and you will book the next trip. Let me know if u want me to watch your tank

Been there twice, first time to Ocean Blue and Sand and then to Dreams.

I enjoyed both trips and did not feel very targetted by any of the locals. All Dominicans there seemed very friendly, probably much nicer than the ones you find in New York lol

Again, don't make yourself a clear target, be conservative with what you display and just be aware of your surroundings.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: