bigsink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
469   0   0
Since selling my boat, I am anxious to get back out on the water. I would love to purchase an entry level kayak that would accommodate my rather portly frame. I am 6'3" and 240 pounds. Needs to hold me up. It will be used in FW ponds around LI and around Great South Bay. It needs to be comfy for cranky back as well. I am looking in the $500-$600 range I can easily carry from my car to the water. As of now, the Ascent 10' from BassPro Shop is the front runner. Any advice would be appreciated.

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I use a future beach 12 fisherman . its a sit in kayak so you stay dry for late and early season fishing. Its also stable as all heck. I added a rod holder to the front, and an anchor trolly, I use it for fresh and lite saltwater fish. i am 6' 190. I could fit my dog with me, but not to fish it has a bunch of room. cost me 299

Mike S

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you are thinking about saltwater fishing you absolutely want a sit on top rather than a sit in. When you take on water in a sit on top it drains out. Ive owned several hobie kayaks but they are on the expensive side. Ocean Kayak and Emotion make good fishing sit on tops. There may be some others out there also. If you look around some of the fishing websites or craigslist you might find a good deal on a used one. If you are in NJ Jersey Paddler in Brick has a large selcetion and will allow you to demo them.

C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Check out REI. If you become a member you get 20% off any item. You also get access to the REI outlet which is their closeout items. Since its the end of the kayaking season they should have good deals. They also have a lifetime warranty on all their products.

R27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
In my opinion I think the Ascend may be a bit small for you, have you sat in it?
I use an old 10' Pelican sit in kayak and it feels a bit small. I just rigged it with a rod holder, paddle clip, and plan on adding an anchor trolley soon. The kayak a little tight for me but since I got it for free, I cannot complain. lol

If you can hold off from buying from now, the Field & Stream 12' Eagle Run Kayaks go on sale every year for about $300-350. Most of the kayaks they offer will go on sale.

There are deals to be had in the late Summer and early Fall. Kayaks take up a large amount of stock room and most dealers need to move them off the floor to make room for other merchandise and the models will often change in the Spring and they want to get the old models out of stock.

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
got mine from DICKS was on sale ya i strap it on my jeep constantly. Mike S is right in bigger water the think is a joke. i carry a hand bilge pump and have float bags in it . but if you plan to really fish saltwater you want a hobbie with the pedals its awesome

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: