Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
No, not the tank, My house. I am so lucky, no, not that I got this flood, but the circumstances.
My wife and I were getting ready to go out to our marina for dinner and my wife hears this Bang. Then she hears water running, fast. She says, what was that and why do I hear water running. I only want to hear Supermodels running but I can hear water running. I check upstairs and don't see any water running, then I go to the basement which is finished and don't see any water running. Then my wife screams AAAAAAHHHHHHH WATER IF FLYING OUT ALL OVER THE KITCHEN, DO SOMETHING PAUL, PAUL, DO SOMETHING. and she dives under there and tries to put her hands around the leak. I run to the water main and shut it off then as I turn to go upstairs I notice the bathroom looks like Noah's flood on the third day when it was raining so hard the elephants had to put their trunks up in the air to breathe. Water is pouring our of the ceiling (think Niagara Falls) . I run to get the shop vac, but it is full of dirt, so I quickly empty it and take out the filter, just as the water starts coming over the marble saddle I get the vacuum running and start to suck it up. It fills up to it's seven gallon capacity so I empty it and suck some more. I happened to take a quick look at my reef tank and most of the fish had their noses pushed against the glass just waiting for the water to rise to the top of the tank so they could escape. But that didn't happen as I am quick with a shop vac. I ran upstairs and pull my soaking wife out from under the sink and crawl in there with a flashlight. This flexable hose that I installed 7 years ago burst. In five minutes we would have been out for the evening and the basement would have filled with water and I could have then had a really big reef tank. I would have had to sell the house because there are no drains in my basement and the water would have filled to about 2' deep.
I just finished that basement last year and luckily I installed a steel, diamond plate sheet metal ceiling so it didn't get damaged. I ran to the plumbing supply to get a new hose, 10 minutes later it was done and we went out to dinner. Of course we had to leave the ceiling open to dry and everything is out from under the sink. But since I installed that sink we have been to Europe twice and Hawaii. If that happened one of the times we were away. OMG. Now, being I am always prepared I am going to run a small copper line to my furnace so when I go away I can shut the entire house off except the boiler. Then I am going to install an electric valve on my main and leak detectors all over the house so if there is a leak, the main will shut off. I already built that system under my tank and boiler, but now I will make one on my main. I only want these things to happen to me once. :shhh:

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Paul same thing happened to me. Braided line popped and flooded out my basement. Called the insurance company and they took care of the damage minus my deductible. Gave then the broken hose and 6 months later they gave me my deductible back and went after the company who made the braided hose

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Paul have you ever written a book. Im sure you are more then capable :smile:

I don't think the 3 people who may read the book would make it worth it for me to publish. Besides, my wife and Daughter are not interested in my fish ramblings.

Phil, that is a good question and may have been a flaw in this stainless steel.

This line comes with the faucet that is not cheap. It's $600.00. It has a metric thread and "O" ring that feeds into the faucet. I could replace it with copper but to get that fitting may be a nightmare as it is probably a weird size made by the faucet manufacturer so you don't replace it as they want you to buy it from them. I also have a whole house vacuum that uses a weird size PVC pipe that is "almost" the same as a 1 1/4" PVC because you are supposed to use their pipe for 4 times the price. I made adapters to fit their fittings on normal PVC and saved a few hundred bucks.
I have been doing plumbing all my life and was a plumber for a few years and have never seen a stainless steel covered pipe burst. They leak, but don't normally explode like that. Washing machine hoses are made of the same stuff and of course hold the same pressure. I will start building my leak detectors next week and put them all over the place where a leak can occur. I already made them under my boiler and fish tank and just need one on my house main. If it happens again, the main will shut off hopefully before any damage can occur.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
in my old house the pressure was so high at times that when you shut the faucet the surge would blow off the hot water heater pressure relief valve and that blows off at 150psi.
i never burst a garden hose, although i never leave it on. and i had regular rubber hoses on the washing machine and luckily they never burst, and we never turned them off. now i use braided lines and shut them off when not in use.

NewfiDog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually very common. One of the manufactures had major issues and I think there was a class action. When people put them on the washing machines they stop turning off the water. I try to tell them all the time there not bullet proof turn off the water but they don't. But the main issues have been with faucet supplies and some toilet supplies. Sometimes when installing them people twist them that's pretty much the end of that supply. I put the solids in my own house.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: