tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hey Folks,
So, I had my first hunting experience in Maine a couple of weeks ago. Went duck hunting with a friend (I did not shoot the ducks, was mainly there to see what hunting was like).

I thought it was pretty neat. Very boring, as we woke up at 4am, couldn't start hunting till 5:30 then left at 8:30 empty handed....but I liked it all the same for the bonding experience and the thrill of the potential.

Anyway, in Maine my hunter friends have guns, etc in their homes, can buy them at roadside stores, etc. i.e. it seems pretty easy going.

What is the hunting or shooting culture in NY area?

Like, If I want to practice rifle shooting so that I can actually be worth something on a hunting trip, where would I do that?

Can I buy a rifle of my own and then store it in my apartment or must I buy a gun locker at a secured facility since I don't have a carriers license??

Where would I go hunting?

(Yes, I have visited the NY State hunting websites, but I want advice from folks that live the CITY life and are also actively engaged in hunting)

crox99

Audi Sport
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I took a safety class 8-9 years ago in bayridge but I never went hunting. I am very interested on going with someone just to see what's all about.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
In nj you would need a firearms ID card and would be able to purchase a long gun with this ID card. You could transport as long as it was not loaded and secured safely in trunk of vehicle.( with proper I'd) As far as home storage that's up to you, but a safe is always best bet imo.

Not sure how different NY is from NJ in this area, I would imagine it's in the purchasing credentials. In nj is want to purchase handgun it's additional paperwork

C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Hey Folks,
So, I had my first hunting experience in Maine a couple of weeks ago. Went duck hunting with a friend (I did not shoot the ducks, was mainly there to see what hunting was like).

I thought it was pretty neat. Very boring, as we woke up at 4am, couldn't start hunting till 5:30 then left at 8:30 empty handed....but I liked it all the same for the bonding experience and the thrill of the potential.

Anyway, in Maine my hunter friends have guns, etc in their homes, can buy them at roadside stores, etc. i.e. it seems pretty easy going.

What is the hunting or shooting culture in NY area?
There are lots of firearms and hunting enthusiasts. Best thing to do is join a firearms related website. Longislandfirearms.com
Like, If I want to practice rifle shooting so that I can actually be worth something on a hunting trip, where would I do that?

Can I buy a rifle of my own and then store it in my apartment or must I buy a gun locker at a secured facility since I don't have a carriers license??
There is only one shooting range in NYC. You can go to PA, NJ or far out on Long Island.

NYC sucks for guns. I am pretty sure you need a permit for rifles and there is a 5 round max. I am not to sure about the NYC rules but there is a lot. If you do the paper work you can get a rifle at your house. Just read the rules they give you. If you have relatives outside the city get a rifle and store it there.

Where would I go hunting?
there is public land on Long Island and upstate you can use. Long Island is shotgun only. Find someone who hunts and just tag along with them. You also need to take a hunter safety course.
(Yes, I have visited the NY State hunting websites, but I want advice from folks that live the CITY life and are also actively engaged in hunting)

C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Originally I just responded in your quote. When I hit post reply it wouldn't summit because there were no characters outside the quote. So added the .... just so it will go through.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
ah, thanks. Now that I'm on my computer I can see your reply!

I found a place online to take a hunter safety course. I think it was $155 for the training for 16hrs. Then 45$ plus ammo, and targets any time I came back.
I think that one was in Union which is LI?

I'll continue to research. This should be fun. At the very least, I want to learn to be a better shot so that if I go hunting with friends I'm of use!

C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
The hunter safety course is free. Now they have a online course. I know nothing about it but it seems there is a free site that does it and one for $25. Every state has it's own hunting regulations.

It seems like you are new to firearms. I would do the course in person. You will learn a lot about handling firearms and learn how they work.

If you want to work on your accuracy you should look into a Project Appleseed event. I never did one but I always hear great things about it.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/92267.html

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: