tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I'm trying out the Kingston 120 in a few weeks on my computer build.
I got this one because I'm aiming for a low budget.
If that doesn't pan well during the warranty, I'll pay more and get the Samsung Evo 120gb.

I don't need more than that.

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Don't defrag them, ever. It'll just reduce lifecycle with very little gains. SSDs reported to slow down at 75-90% capacity usage; I've never experienced it as I haven't hit those %s.

2x Samsung 840 EVO 500GB
2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
Samsung 840 Pro and Kingston something something... both 128GB

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I'm a big fan. You will see a big difference. I currently use an older 60GB and a 240GB and they worked great. One in Laptop and other in desktop.

Just picked up a Kingston 480 during Black Friday sale for a new laptop.

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
SSDs has limited erase/writes. Defragging will tax the SSD's lifecycle unnecessarily.

Traditional hard drives are mechanical ie. platters, R/W heads, spindle, actuator, etc. In interest of speeds and performance, we wanted our data in a linear structure so the R/W heads aren't flying around all over the platter looking for your data. Hence defragging to optimize data placement on the platters. SSDs are not hindered by this as there are no mechanical parts.

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Explain how defragging hurts a ssd?

Traditional hard drives use a head to write data onto a spinning platter. As such, data is written in blocks all over the platter and when it comes time to read the data the head is bouncing around all over the place to get a file. The solution is to defrag. to put in order to make retrieval faster.

With SSDs there is no spinning platter and therefore no need to defrag. Data is written and retrieved at the same speed.
Also, SSDs will deteriorate the more you read/write to the drive. By performing a defrag you are performing a significant amount of read/write that will serve no purpose in speeding up file retrieval.

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
If you're dealing with 128GB, without knowing your storage habits. I would suggest using the SSD for applications (at least highly used ones) and another bigger/cheaper drive for data.

Don't use the SSD as a backup drive. You paid high $/gigabyte for it to sit on the sidelines.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
what MoBo do you have?

From what I'm reading on computer boards, you should still be fine with SATA III to SATA II but you will just be limiting your speed to SATA 3.0 gb/s instead of the 6 gb/s.

I actually just spotted a great deal on ebay for a brand new Samsung Evo 250gb to pair with my 1 TB regular HD. Pretty stoked! I should be set for days!
Before I bought it I made sure my MoBo was compatible.
Capable of USB 3.0 and SATA III

To get additional info on your motherboard, download and run CPU-Z from CPUID.com.
Click on the "Mainboard" tab and it will give you info on your motherboard.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: