Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
So today was like any other day. Snow outside, warm inside. I go to make myself some oatmeal in the microwave, push the button and nothing happens. OK great, I need to see what is wrong with the 7 year old microwave. So I take the thing apart and after a while with the schematics, I find the problem. Well 2 problems but nothing earth shattering. A door switch needs a little coaxing and the rod on the door that activates it, wore out a little and needs to be lengthened. I can fix this. So I go downstairs into the bathroom to shave (I finished this basement years ago but just re did the bathroom last year) As I am shaving, a drop of water hits me on the head. If you are bald, you know right away that a drop of water hits you in the head. Especially cold water. If a gnat poops while he is flying over my head, I will feel it. I guess hair de-sensitizes your head, that's why us "smart" people lose our hair, so we can sense these seemingly unimportant things such as when a gnat poops. Anyway, I yell upstairs to tell my wife that she must have drenched the floor when she washed it. She yells back that she didn't wash the floor yet. Then I yell, "then shut off the water, we have a leak". She says she doesn't have any water running. So I open up the ceiling (suspended, tiles) and see that one of the original steel pipes cracked. I have been meaning to replace this pipe since I moved in 38 years ago but it keeps slipping my mind. (probably because I am concentrating on gnat poop) But now I have to fix the thing. So What to fix first. My kitchen is filled with microwave parts and my basement bathroom ceiling is leaking.

A bucket "fixed" the leak and I really wanted breakfast so I fixed the microwave. I had the switch and to make the push rod a little longer I melted the head of a pin into the end of it so it would have that extra thousandth of an inch to push the switch. So I put the thing back together and made breakfast. Now it is off to the plumbing supply to get some fittings to fix this leak that I should have take care of in 1980. This is not going to be an easy repair because it is a 2" iron sanitary Tee with two pipes coming out of it. It is to close to the beam to get a wrench on it and when I do try to turn it (after I cut it) it will crush from rust. But I was a plumber for a while and will have no trouble fixing the thing. I wish I had a tall Supermodel to hold the light.

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Nice write-up... I liked this part of your story: "As I am shaving, a drop of water hits me on the head. If you are bald, you know right away that a drop of water hits you in the head. Especially cold water. If a gnat poops while he is flying over my head, I will feel it. I guess hair de-sensitizes your head, that's why us "smart" people lose our hair, so we can sense these seemingly unimportant things such as when a gnat poops."

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Nice job Paul unfortunately most of our homes in this area were built during the fifties and most of the wiring a cast piping needs to br replaced. I've done a lot of plumbing and electrical work in my home as well. At least you know that PVC is going to last a lot longer than the fifty six years that the cast did.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
My house was built in 1952. I thought it was a little newer. I changed almost all the plumbing and electric. But for some reason I left this pipe. You can see that I did change the pipe that came into the Tee from the left. Of course the walls are plaster so the old steel pipes in the walls are mostly still there. And if I am lucky, and don't live much longer, they will be fine.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Today was another interesting day. Don't you just love these days?
5:00 this morning my 2 1/2 year old Grand Daughter crawls into our bed. We are watching her for a couple of days. I look out the window and there is 6" of snow. Not bad considering they predicted an inch so it was right on target. My wife has MS so I get up and shovel to the garage so she can get to work. I make Greta breakfast and we decide there is to much snow for my wife to get there on her own so I will drive her the 8 miles to work. Here on Long Island there is always traffic so with the snow, we would have gotten there if we walked. Of course I took Greta as I couldn't leave her home alone. I get back and forgot that my neighbor's husband is in Italy and I promised I would clear her snow. ( have a snow blower) So I call her to watch Greta and while I am waiting I go downstairs to check on my fish. I go into my workshop and start walking into water. Great! a pipe broke last week and being that it is 2 degrees I assumed another pipe broke. But it wasn't a pipe. My RO/DI reservoir is hanging over my work bench and I have a faucet on the bottom of it to take water out. I probably didn't close it well and it was leaking into the live blackworm tank under the reservoir. OK, not to bad. But the worm tank is overflowing on my work bench and the worms were just thrilled to escape. Most of the worms are doing the macarana.
My workbench is made out of particle board and if you don't know, when particle board gets wet, it swells up to 3 times it's size. Like some of those celebrities when they get botox in their lips.
So my neighbor comes over and I ask Greta if she has to to Potty. "NO", OK I go out to snow blow. I get to my shed to get the snow blower and there is snow in front of the door so I pull it hard. The door comes off in my hands. At least I got it open. I go to drag out the machine, and it won't budge. I make sure it is in neutral and give it a tug. Still not moving. It is iced to the floor. I remember a sledge hammer in my shed and find it. Smack the machine a few times and it frees up. I drag it out, spray a bunch of starting fluid into the carburetor and it starts up. I start to hit the snow and it is not coming out the shoot. Just flying out the front. The shoot is clogged with ice. I turn the sledge over and clear out the shoot. I notice my 83 year old neighbor shoveling so I do his property. The I see next door the 90 year old womans house is covered, so I do that. Then I go and do my neighbor who is watching Greta and her neighbor. I put the blower back in the shed and put a table in front of the door to hold it up and go back inside where Greta is laughing with my neighbor. I ask, "do you have to go Potty? NO. I make my neighbor a cup of coffee and now Greta says she wants to go Potty. So my neighbor says, I work in a day care and I will take her. Great, but Greta only wants me. So all 3 of us go in the bathroom and I put her on the bowl. She wants me to read her a book. My neighbor holds her and I get a book. "The Night Before Christmas" It was out. So I read "Twas the Night Before Christmas yada yada yada and Greta decides, she doesn't have to go. OK, my neighbor goes home and we watch Mickey Mouse. It's time to go to the train. I put on her snow pants, mittens, scarf, jacket, hat etc and then put on my shoes, coat, hat, etc. Greta yells out "I have to go Potty". OK, great, take off my shoes, hat, coat, take off Greta's hat, scarf, mittens, snow pants etc and run to put her on the bowl. She wants me to read her a book. "The Night Before Christmas it is". So as I am reading I am looking at the time, The train is near. "Not a Creature was stirring, not even a mouse". Greta, are you done? No PopPop. "Then he put his finger alongside his nose and turned with a ****" Are you finished Greta? No PopPop. "Now Dancer, Now Prancer, Now Blitzen, and Cupid" Greta, are you finished? No PopPop. "As I heard him Exclaim, Merry Christmas to all and to all a Good Night" Are you finished Greta. Yes PopPop. So we frantically put on all those clothes and run outside. I strap her in the car seat and "race" to the train 8 blocks away. I find a parking spot and think I could hear the train coming. I drag the stroller through the 6" of snow into the ticket office and hear an announcement. The train from New Hyde to Penn Station is operating 16 minutes late. 5 Minutes later, "The train from New Hyde Park to Penn Station is operating 18 minutes late" Then The train from New Hyde Park to Penn Station is operating 21 minutes late. Anyway, when we get on the train I call my Daughter Jodi to tell her we will be there in 30 minutes. The ride is un eventful and Greta is eating Goldfish *******s. I get to Penn Station and race to where my Daughter is so I can get back on the train and come back home, and, No Jodi.
I call her. Where are you? I am still home, I can't get a cab. So we wait, and wait. Then I hear an announcement. The train to New Hyde Park is leaving ALL ABOARD" I missed my train. The next train is in an hour. Here comes Jodi.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: