evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
WOW!! They got me good. Spent thousands of dollars off my CC in PA at BestBuy, Staples and a Bed Bath and Beyond.

I think they'll get caught. Check exact transactions and time frames. Take security footage from each place and have a nice day.

I wonder if they'll allow me to throw stones at them? I think that is the least we are allowed to do for such a ****** bag move. I applaud them for either hacking my account (I doubt) or likely swiped my card on a device (likely card reader on their smartphone) and placed the info on a random card. Takes software and balls to do it. Especially doing it in a local store.

You'll be caught and hopefully they get butt raped real good. ;)

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Mike. Sadly. A lot of outbid state jobs like this don't get solved. Just way it is. It's def. a db thing to do to a person, make sure you generate airport with CC company and perhaps local pd. Have it put on record for you You may need it sometime in the future to protect best interest

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
lol oh crap dacebrown. I like the asian mama.com too!!

3-6. Really? Even if the card was used in a place like bestbuy, staples where security cameras should be readily accessible for cops? I mean I know in the overall scheme I am a little victim but that's crazy to let them get away with it if it should be a pretty easy case if taking the steps above to catch them.

If they did online purchases then it would be much harder, unless you go deep into getting isp involved to track down by IP - mac and then have to go through the legal aspects of if that person was actually using the PC at that time etc. Then they would go about sending the goods to another house and picking it up from their door steps.

jdino

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thirty six knows his stuff. Your local PD will take a report for you. They will also tell you its not their case, its the case of the PD where it happened. The PD where it happened will tell you to file a report and call CC company. CC company will not investigate because its not big enough for them to care. The CC will reimburse your acct and tell you to have a nice day. Sadly it happens all day every day.

jvu61

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
police dept don't care because it means they have to work to catch someone when they can be out handing out parking tickets the create revenue flow. sorry if I deirespected any law enforcement people that read this but that is how I feel

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
ALSO, FYI- Somebody on Facebook in one of the Aquarium/Saltwater groups they have posted a screenshot today of an apology letter from Bulk Reef Supply getting hacked between July of last year through to January of this year all info was comprimised.
NOTE: I have bought things from BRS and think the company is great. They have reportedly changed their security the same day they realized they were breached.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
lol oh crap dacebrown. I like the asian mama.com too!!

3-6. Really? Even if the card was used in a place like bestbuy, staples where security cameras should be readily accessible for cops? I mean I know in the overall scheme I am a little victim but that's crazy to let them get away with it if it should be a pretty easy case if taking the steps above to catch them.

If they did online purchases then it would be much harder, unless you go deep into getting isp involved to track down by IP - mac and then have to go through the legal aspects of if that person was actually using the PC at that time etc. Then they would go about sending the goods to another house and picking it up from their door steps.

Mike,

Your thought makes sense but almost never that simple. Some "local" jobs get cleared but once the Vic is in another state or location it usually goes without an arrest/ in short it becomes a logistical issue. Not like may wood pd can go across the bridge or tunnel and drag guy responsible back into NJ. Rules in place to prevent such conduct. As for cameras and footage, never as good as you would think/like
The second scenario you posed with Internet is much more accurate to locate person as long as not an Internet cafe type place or public location that has wifi
Again, not impossible just not probable

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I had my Chase debit card stolen a few months back. Only reason I found out was because at 11:30 PM I get woken up to an e-mail from Chase asking if I actually ordered an $800 handbag from some fancy online boutique. Overall they cleared a few thousand from my account.

I called Chase immediately and had the funds in my account within 24 hours, no issues whatsoever. A week later my girlfriend's Chase credit card also got hacked, but hers they only got a few hundred.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I guess this happens pretty often. Yeah, I figured that nothing like this would happen. I am not saying that I agree with what happened but if they are really letting this type of thing slide but getting bunch munchies over smaller offenses then this would be a very good business model.

A co-worker said he had something similar happen and the place where the guy purchased items would not allow him to view security footage in chance he goes after the guy.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Happens frequently and usually CC companies are very good about it. But the bigger concern is your credit: if you haven't done so I'd run a. Report to make sure you haven't been compromised in another area or manner than hasn't surfaced yet

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As a retired PD. Its not that they don't want to catch the bad guys. PD doesn't want to take the Grand Larceny number. Just another way to show crime is going down. You would think by now you should have pass key or pin number to go with CC so you are true owner. Even if they got your card number.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
As a retired PD. Its not that they don't want to catch the bad guys. PD doesn't want to take the Grand Larceny number. Just another way to show crime is going down. You would think by now you should have pass key or pin number to go with CC so you are true owner. Even if they got your card number.

On my credit card and debit card I have "ask for ID" written clearly on the card. Sadly, I've never been asked for ID

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
piranhapat

That's pretty sh*tty but I'm sure politics/statistics has something to do with it as well.

That is a true statement/idea. WTH don't they have an associated PIN/pass key. Specifically when spending over x amount in a very short time frame.

What is messed up is I keep my CC limit at a decent amount and they allowed it go well over that limit. I love my bank but they should have denied those charges.

If it was the norm than it wouldn't be a "bad" thing to implement.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Yup, someone mentioned it recently and just got a letter from BRS that they were hacked. That's the card I used to make my purchases from there so I'm sure this is where they got my account information from. They did give a free 12month protection check/plan from experian so I confirmed no recent inquiries or anything under my name. I'll be putting a freeze on my credit file since I don't plan to use it anytime soon anyway.

Is there a way to make sure they can't use my info? Changing address or something?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: