Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Yesterday as i was sitting in my living room with the AC on I noticed that it was getting warmer. It was about 92 degrees out but the AC usually works fine. I installed this unit through the brick wall about 15 years ago because there was one there when I bought the house so I replaced it when it croaked.
As I was looking at the unit I noticed that there was smoke coming out of it. It wasn't fire smoke, just cold smoke. So I went over to it and took off the front panel. The entire coil was a sheet of ice and all of a sudden, ice cubes started to shoot out of the unit all over the glass dining room table. PING, PING, BAM, DING, OMG. It was hard to get near the thing because of all the ice cubes shooting out all over the place. I was getting flashbacks. So I pick up the filter which is just a silly screen and hold it in front of me like a shield as I work my way closer, all the while trying to hide behind the wire sculpture of the Brooklyn Bridge we have on the table. The Bridge looked realistic now because of all the ice cubes and water around it. So I finally get near the thing and there was this big flash of light with an accompanying explosion. BA BOOM-WOOSHBOOM- crunch, CRACKLE. Being an electrician, I know what it sounds like when a 220 volt motor goes underwater. So it tripped the breaker and died. The house gradually heated up to about 90 degrees so today I had to run out and try to buy a new unit. I will throw that one out and install a split unit AC as soon as I get it. Today I will run the electric and build the concrete pad that will be suspended about 3' up on the side of the house.
I took apart the old unit and got it running temporarily because my wife has MS and can't take the heat. It isn't even shooting to much ice into my dining room so it should last until I finish the installation of the new unit. :smoker:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Now you tell me. I just bought a split unit and will hopefully get it and install it in a few days. I got my old 12,000 through the wall working somewhat. I can run it for 2 hours then need to shut it off for an hour. Not to bad as we spend much of our time on the boat. But it won't last long.
Thanks for the offer.
Have a great day

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
My tank is in the finished basement so it needs no cooling. The broken AC is in the living room. Out bedrooms and the top floor have working ACs.

That's fortunate for the fish. The past couple of weeks I had to run my AC at 72 degrees around the clock to keep my tank at 80 degrees. And the tank has a clip on fan over the sump. Tank is on the first floor but is 3 rooms away from the AC.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I went to feed the tank and I noticed that the light over the algae trough was out and the skimmer was dry as was the algae trough. OMG. That lightning strike that nuked my AC and the pump for my worms also killed the light over the trough and my rather ancient powerhead. The powerhead has other issues like the stainless steel shaft is badly worn so when the power went out, it just didn't want to start. I will try to make a new shaft and epoxy it in. The light is toast so I will make another one. I can't even guess how old this powerhead is, probably from the 80s. I have one more like it but I need this type for my skimmer because I designed the thing to fit perfectly.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: