DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Anyone have any experience with a small backyard pond build? Thinking 5 x 8 feet. Good news is I have no issue with winter as I am now in Miami, but wanted to see if anyone had any good resources, advice, etc?

Thanks in advance

Ponyboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Bead filters are not the best they require big pumps and they take away from the flow
Go to koiphen.com
A lot depends on what Wil be suggested
Do u want a formal or informal pond
Do u want a filter pit
Is the system gravity or pump fed
Do you want low maintenance then a RDF
What's your budget
There is no one simple answer to this question
What will you be keeping in there
A bottom drain is a must
Yes over size your UV but watch your flow rates
Hard to over kill your filtration
Build it once and do it correct the cheap way always costs more in the end
I landscape and build ponds for a living been there and seen that it's not cheap but you can do a lot of work yourself to save some money

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Bead filters are not the best they require big pumps and they take away from the flow
Go to koiphen.com
A lot depends on what Wil be suggested
Do u want a formal or informal pond
Do u want a filter pit
Is the system gravity or pump fed
Do you want low maintenance then a RDF
What's your budget
There is no one simple answer to this question
What will you be keeping in there
A bottom drain is a must
Yes over size your UV but watch your flow rates
Hard to over kill your filtration
Build it once and do it correct the cheap way always costs more in the end
I landscape and build ponds for a living been there and seen that it's not cheap but you can do a lot of work yourself to save some money

Thank you for the great resource and response!
I plan to keep a few fish, turtle and any amphibians I can honestly. 5 x 8 feet!

Ponyboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
What type of fish
With turtles u have to have either a fence or high sided to keep them from wandering off
Also I would say no skimmer then they will alway be on the skimmer basket
Can build nice floating islands for them as well or just good old fashion drift wood but that can mess the water quality

Johnny Spesis

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've had a pond for 20 years. It's easy. The biggest problem is going small. Go big, with a larger pump and waterfall. Maintence is the other guys problem, but building your pond correctly is everything. Small pumps get clogged fast and weekly maintence is needed. Check with locals to see how deep you can go. You will have a critter problem in FL, but deeper pond in the middle will give your fish a break. 12" to 18" sides for plants. Ponds are the best pets. I'm cleaning 2 X a year, and feeding them Cherios. I run the hose for a water change. Use a liner. No tubs. No turtles, no bamboo plants. Use a shady spot to build. U/V not necessary. My filter is behind waterfall with filter socks and bio-balls(wiffle balls). Use a filter mat above balls to hold them down. A combination of fish and plants with the waterfall make it all happen. When you dig, try to dig enough and square. Don't over dig, and put loose soil back in, your pond will collapse. Use some cinder blocks to form if necessary when building the waterfall. Waterproof foam will stop your leaks with rocks. Have a question, ask. I'm as maintence free as possible.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: