Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2015, 03:12 PM
Reefer Ratings: (13 (100%)
Friends: (20)
Send a Private Message
Crash!!!!

No, Not my tank. Don't be ridiculous I have a Undergravel filter, that can't crash.
My "car" was in a crash.
I was stopped for a light having a philosophical conversation with my wife about the universe, the meaning of life, or what we were having for dinner when all of a sudden:
CRASH!!.
Glass breaking, my teeth flying across the broken windshield, my contact lenses bouncing on the road, birds flying away in a panic, squirrels screaming etc. OMG what a scene.
Of course none of that happened. But it felt like it did. My teeth are firmly fixed in my head and I don't wear contact lenses. The windshield didn't break and the birds were just pooping as they normally do.
But the accident did happen. We were hit from the back by a SUV. I wasn't in my SUV but in my very Manly (Chick Magnet) PT Cruiser. (Although I also have a SUV.)
After checking on my wife, I ran out to see what happened.
The door opened on the SUV and I expected to see this dopey kid get out with his cell phone that he was texting on, but he didn't get out. A very pretty girl gets out and being I am very observant, I noticed that she was about 9 months pregnant.
OMG, I am so glad her air bag didn't deploy, because I am sure "almost born" Babies hate that. I made sure she was OK and I noticed she had another little kid in the back. She immediately apologized and said she thought the cars next to her were moving so she thought I was too. I didn't understand that, but it is what it is. Maybe it's a pregnant thing. So, being in the technological age, we took pictures of each other's license's.
She was going to her baby doctor so that was a good thing as we were practically in her doctor's parking lot. I am sure the doctor will check her and her baby out.
My car will go into the body shop this week. I wanted to change that back bumper anyway because it was scratched. Now it is history. So it all ended well.
I know that secretly a lot of people were hoping it was my tank that crashed so they could say. Oh look at the old guy who thinks his fish are bulletproof after only a few decades. I really think she found out I wrote a book and she was looking for an autographed copy.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:30 PM
Saltwater since 1973
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (53 (100%)
Friends: (84)
Send a Private Message
Don't have time to read your whole post, but sorry to hear about your tank crash.

Jan. 2011 Manhattan Reefs TOTM
800g upgrade-NOW with CORALS and FISH in the TANK!
Old 11-03-2015, 03:32 PM
Send a Private Message
Lol.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:36 PM
Reefer Ratings: (8 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Funny!
Not the crash but the telling of the story.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:25 PM
Reefer Ratings: (70 (100%)
Send a Private Message
So didn't wait for police report? Get pic of insurance equally important as the license

Glad your ok and your tank
Old 11-03-2015, 06:50 PM
Send a Private Message
No police report, that takes to much time and is a waste of time. I called her insurance company and they are fixing my car. I think they will have to replace the hatch door which is fine, it was dirty anyway and needed a wash. As a matter of fact, I was just going home to wash that car. I keep my cars as pristine as I can. I even made the wax I use on it, but I am nuts.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:06 PM
Two Decade Club
Reefer Ratings: (56 (100%)
Friends: (66)
Send a Private Message
Sorry to hear Paul and glad to read everyone is OK..... But in NY no legitimate Ins. Co. will follow up with a claim without a Police report. The Police don't have to respond to take a report unless there is an injury if you don't want to wait for them to respond just exchange info as you did. If there are any discrepancies with the paper work license etc .. or plates/ reg wait for the police. In NY a motorist has ten days to fill a report out themselves and the report number is given to the Ins. Co.

170 gal reef, 90 gal fuge, 65 gal sump,20 gal frag/nano, 250 Radiums on Hamilton M80 HQIs, T5 actinics, MRC-2 Cal reactor, Vertex in280 skimmer, Reeflo return pump

Last edited by MIKE NY; 11-03-2015 at 11:09 PM..
Old 11-04-2015, 08:03 AM
Send a Private Message
Her insurance company (Allstate) already told me they will fix my car. I am bringing it to them Friday for the estimate. I have done this 5 or 6 times and so far never had a problem. It's not a big deal. If there is a problem, I could file a report. I also took pictures of the damage.
I have Geico
Old 11-04-2015, 01:44 PM
Reefer Ratings: (6 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Another reason not to install a tank in your car.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:45 PM
Fish Hoarder
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (49 (100%)
Friends: (50)
Send a Private Message
Good to know everyone is ok