Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I knew all of this already, actually. :)

re: fishtanks
There are a lot of moral issues I have with the keeping of aquaria which I have compromised in order to have my pretty piece o' the reef. I have issues with the amount of electricity they consume and the fact that we are taking natural organisms out of the ocean and probably not doing them a service. I have compromised by buying aquacultured fish when they are available and corals almost exclusively. I have compromised on the energy by switching all of my lightbulbs and trying to turn off all of my power strips to non-essential electronic devices while I'm out so that my tank is my only real energy expenditure.

Ari Derfel is a guy from Berkeley who saved all of his trash for a year to make a point, then gave it to some artists to make a sculpture. It's actually pretty interesting if you read up on him.
http://saveyourtrash.typepad.com/save_your_trash/about-the-project.html

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
It was a good video. I try not to be too much of a consumer yet I send at least one box of clothes, shoes, books, unwanted gifts, old electronics, etc. to some family member each month. Jerry and I plan to live in our apartment forever so finite space is a good motivator :)

I would have like to hear more about solutions - especially economic ones.

Also, I don't think most people are willing to make sacrifices or understand the philosophy of spending more to buy a quality item the first time around.

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
p.s. one of my biggest sins is ordering on line. Consuming and adding more transportation and packaging materials to the process. Need to work on that one!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: