jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
:shhh: tHey dont have oiL... not reaLLy an important country

not necessarily true, they have tons of rare gems and gold, and oil resources!

but the government has SOLD ALL the mining rights to foreign companies.
ALL that money, BILLIONS has gone into the pockets of those in charge.
It's such a sad, but typical story :(

from Wikipedia

Under British administration and in the early 1950s, Burma was the wealthiest country in Southeast Asia. It was once the world's largest exporter of rice. During British administration, Burma supplied oil through the Burmah Oil Company. Burma also had a wealth of natural and labor resources. It produced 75% of the world's teak and had a highly literate population. The country was believed to be on the fast track to development.

...In 1989, the government began decentralizing economic control. It has since liberalised certain sectors of the economy. Lucrative industries of gems, oil and forestry remain heavily regulated. They have recently been exploited by foreign corporations and governments which have partnered with the local government to gain access to Burma's natural resources.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
not necessarily true, they have tons of rare gems and gold, and oil resources!

but the government has SOLD ALL the mining rights to foreign companies.
ALL that money, BILLIONS has gone into the pockets of those in charge.
It's such a sad, but typical story :(

from Wikipedia

Under British administration and in the early 1950s, Burma was the wealthiest country in Southeast Asia. It was once the world's largest exporter of rice. During British administration, Burma supplied oil through the Burmah Oil Company. Burma also had a wealth of natural and labor resources. It produced 75% of the world's teak and had a highly literate population. The country was believed to be on the fast track to development.

...In 1989, the government began decentralizing economic control. It has since liberalised certain sectors of the economy. Lucrative industries of gems, oil and forestry remain heavily regulated. They have recently been exploited by foreign corporations and governments which have partnered with the local government to gain access to Burma's natural resources.

I wondered who are the "foreign corporations and governments?"

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
We are the largest producer of wood and wood products, as a natural resource. Gems don't usually come here as a natural resource and oil is also not likely to end up here.

Japan sure comes to mind though, so does China. A fantastic point to be made though is that neither Japan nor China is evil for taking advantage of this situation. The evilness, if there is any, is the government selling out the people for money. Or perhaps it's the people for not filling the streets with the blood of their government officials. Truthfully this can only last so long and this disaster will certainly quicken the pace.

Japan, China or India will invaded Myanmar and likely make for a better overlord. (I for one welcome them).
The fact of the matter is their isn't enough oil to go around. So two or three developing countries are going to need to:
A. Chill out and stop developing, get used to that 2nd or 3rd nation status
B. Take the oil and resources needed to grow by force

There's no way around it because to not do it means zero stability. A nation as large as China for example would be irresponsible and foolish to not invade someone over oil. (I know that's a rough statement so I'll explain) As China grows and grows she will need more oil in order to fuel her economy. The problem is there is no more oil. All the oil that is drilled is already spoken for. So for China to get more someone will need to get less. Now supposing this all happens peacefully. A few nations announce that they don't need so much oil anymore and China fills in the slack. India is right behind China, suppose India can also do it peacefully. Russia announces that they think the Somalis are onto something and they outlaw gasoline. Russia becomes a third world nation. Now there is plenty of oil for China, India, Japan, Europe and us. The problem is China and India don't have access to a lot of oil they buy it. Someone for whatever reason decides to stop selling it to them or to raise the price. The economy collapses and hundreds of millions of people starve to death.

Really.

So as the emperor or whatever, if you were in charge what do you do? You don't have much option. You cannot leave the fate of a billion people in the hands of someone else.

Last edited:

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Associated Press

Excerpts: Relief supplies from the United Nations arrived in Myanmar Thursday, but U.S. military planes loaded with aid were still denied access by the country's isolationist regime five days after a devastating cyclone.

The military junta also continued to stall on visas for U.N. teams seeking enter to ensure the aid is delivered to the victims amid fears that lack of safe food and drinking water could push the death toll above 100,000.

Myanmar's generals, traditionally paranoid about foreign influence, issued an appeal for international assistance after the storm struck Saturday. They have since dragged their feet on issuing visas to relief workers even as survivors faced hunger, disease and flooding.

fritz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
The head of junta isn't this guy is it?
051103_mikebrownfema_vlrg.widec.jpg

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Associated Press

Excerpts: Relief supplies from the United Nations arrived in Myanmar Thursday, but U.S. military planes loaded with aid were still denied access by the country's isolationist regime five days after a devastating cyclone.

The military junta also continued to stall on visas for U.N. teams seeking enter to ensure the aid is delivered to the victims amid fears that lack of safe food and drinking water could push the death toll above 100,000.

Myanmar's generals, traditionally paranoid about foreign influence, issued an appeal for international assistance after the storm struck Saturday. They have since dragged their feet on issuing visas to relief workers even as survivors faced hunger, disease and flooding.

Stalling in the visas are too fold issue. From their government point of view, there is no guaranteed who is not working for CIA.

We also stall in giving visas for Iraqis who were translators for our troops there and now become targets of the Al Qeiada. Most of them were left back there and slowly got slaughtered.

Last edited:

fritz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
We also stall in giving visas for Iraqis who were translators for our troops there and now become targets of the Al Qeiada. Most of them were left back there and slowly got slaughtered.

What!?
I don't have time to make a 40 point bullet on what's wrong with that statement. You have anything to back that up?
Actually nevermind it'll just take this thread off topic.

:)

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
What!?
I don't have time to make a 40 point bullet on what's wrong with that statement. You have anything to back that up?
Actually nevermind it'll just take this thread off topic.

:)
Too many. Any man in the street who read the news can find info. of this.

Read the news, check with INS, dept of HLS. You'll find the answers. Spent a day in the library, you can find tons of documentaries for that too.

http://iraq.usembassy.gov/iraq/special_immigrant_visa.html

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_wires/2007Jan15/0,4675,IraqRefugees,00.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/22/AR2008032202228_pf.html

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/Translators_080306FS.pdf

Under Petraeus's command alone, we have only 648 granted out 5,300 pending requests since 2003 not to mention other not direct linguists who are employed by US civilian corps or the state dept(State department is not military but a major target too and those don't qualify under the military related visa.)

It's not too off topic because, our state dept. and some media what to blame on the slow aid going there is ONLY the fault of the Burmer government. There are more than that-I think this is a two folded issue. Every government would be suspicious of the other countrymen for entering their premises for whatever purposes or reasons. And many US citizens are lead to believe ONLY our team can do the job right so they must open their ports for us.

Last edited:

fritz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
It's hard to say honestly. I believe that its a bureaucracy, our immigration system is a disaster hell most government agencies are total disasters. I hope it's not as true as it reads.

That being said, the account I get from people who have spent years there is very different from the account I see on the news and in the papers. Who can you believe? The soldiers tell me one thing, the news something else. The soldiers however, aren't trying to sell me anything.

As for the Junta, hopefully they allow the aid workers in soon.

RyanG

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Junta generals have now started relabeling the aid packages to decree that they are the ones sending them.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: