GQ22

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Been back on the dating scene now, and I never realized how expensive it is to date in the city. As an old school guy, I usually offer to pay but it is getting a little crazy especially in this economy.

Do all you guys pay for your dates? Its like once you pay for the first date, they always expect you to pay

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
How are you not going to pay on the first date?
I don't go by the number of dates, but after a few months there should be some sharing of expenses.

And yes the city can get really expensive, make sure you know the prices before walking into a place and ordering drinks on a date.

Airborneguy

Reefer till I Die!!
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I've been dumping some cash on this lately too... Decided to just stay single for awhile, had a sort-of girlfriend, but now I'm back at it and it does get expensive. Little tip: if it's completely the first time going out/meeting, meet rather early, like 5-6 at a place where you can get a drink or two and then decide what to do from there. That way, if there's nothing doing at all, you can call it a night fairly cheap, but if you are having fun, you can move on to the more expensive stuff at least knowing you are going to have a good night... always have some secondary places already in mind of course.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I always used to say a girl should start paying sometimes after a few dates...but in practice I ended up never letting them pay. Now that I am a married student, my date gets to pay for everything!

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
as much free stuff as there is to do in the city why spend, also just break them in from the start and take them to a fish store, can make you look smart at the same time and caring or there is always McDonalds

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Feh! I ALWAYS offer to pay - I never expect someone to pay for me. And if they do, I usually pick up the next one as a trade off. Of the last three people I dated, the last one always insisted on paying for everything and would get uncomfortable if I tried to pay, the one before that we split everything pretty much and the one before that I paid most of the time. So I think there is some flexibility in this.

Just date the right girls. :)

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
You just have to find yourself a sugar mama or an older rich woman to use you as her boy toy.

It really depends on the girl, but usually the first few dates should be you offering to pay or paying just to show your not a cheap selfish dirtbag just looking for a good time =0) Some like the oldschool courtship mentality too much and some don't like it at all. Ive always payed and i never really had to, but thats just me. Also your interest in the girl is not weighed by the amount of money you spend on her And most times those types of girls aren't the ones you want to be with anyways. A date is more about going out and having a good time. You can do that without paying a penny most of the time.

georgelc86

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I agree with the guys that there are other places outside the city but lets not forget there are a ton of places in the city with outer borough prices. Now if your trying to impress these women by going to fancy places then thats your fault. Example on the lower east side there is a cafe that from the outside it looks expensive but they have dirt cheap prices and the food is great. Plus outside seating. Dont remember the name of the place but its on Ave A. I always make it a point to avoid midtown. East or West. If your hitting bars there are plenty of places where a bottle of bud is 2 bucks and a captn and coke are 4. Just gotta find them.

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Wow this totally goes back to my post in the economy and our hobby thread. Seriously dates have been getting expensive. I think i'm going to start going cheap and go to some of the local places in my neighborhood.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
:tired: Once you start paying you never stop, in one way or another.

LMAO.

Well, to me, if you like a girl enough paying shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you take her to places you can afford. It is similar to this hobby :tongue1:. You have a setup and livestock you can afford (hopefully).

If I take a girl out and pay and she complains where I've taken her and/or doesn't at least offer to pay (the hand lost in purse doesn't count :)) that is a major red flag to me. If it happens within the first several dates it is an omen IMO. As others have suggested, there are many options in the city to work with.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Picnic and walk in Central Park, with or without a stop at the Met, especially now with fall foilage starting. Great date, low to no cost.

Lots of museums are cheap or free and all parks are free, yet they make some of the best dates.

nikkibabee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I always offer to pay too...but it also cost women a lot more to get ready to go out and maintain themselves...so just because you are spending money on the sate, don't think that the woman is not paying behind the scenes.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: