inkblue

Rice Planter
Rating - 98.6%
145   2   0
...JH's comments on people complaining about electRic biLLs made me wonder if yoU all tell your frnds about thiS hoBBY? as mention'd before, i know i do not. i doNt even likE it when it is suggested tHat i am into fish.. to mE itS a personaL thing that otherS do not underStand so i do not teLL anyone but peoPle oN thiS board... :happysad:

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hobby

I agree to some extent people who i am friends with that arent into the hobby i do not tell (which for the most part do not even know about my tank), only the ones that share the passion do i talk about stuff with....-kuya, enzikiss, MR community lol etc....
I tried telling 2 people once about it, the first person thought i was crazy the other was soo fascinated so it can go either way but like ink i would prefer to keep it personal...

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
i just let ppl look at it when they come over and say "wow, that fish tank is so pretty" - that is pretty much the extent of it. Then there is the occasional one that opens the cabinet and says "hey, he's even got another small fish tank down here."

i think if ppl ever knew how much time and money goes into the tank, they would never be able to understand.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
inkblue said:
...JH's comments on people complaining about electRic biLLs made me wonder if yoU all tell your frnds about thiS hoBBY? as mention'd before, i know i do not. i doNt even likE it when it is suggested tHat i am into fish.. to mE itS a personaL thing that otherS do not underStand so i do not teLL anyone but peoPle oN thiS board... :happysad:

Finally...the cause of your posting-mania comes out! You've found an outlet for your repressed marine addiction :grouphug:

Most of my friends are aware of my passion for marine aquaria (swap meets, long drives to Brooklyn to pick up a $10 frag, etc). When I have them over for company, they either gawk at the tank or hardly notice it's there.

What I believe Jonathan was referring to, was publically discussing the costs associated with reefing which is personal.

Hitsnorth

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Tell a reefer your electric bill last month was $300 and they will have sympathy. Tell a non-reefer your electric bill was $300 last month and they look at you like your out of your mind. Little do they know that $300 wasnt the biggest cost for your "hobby" last month. Oh well.

Hitsnorth

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Yeah... Your one friend just wants to open an ice cream shop! You hear that and say WOW You wouldnt need a chiller you could just run a line into the freezers! He definately thought you had one too many beers!

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
a friend of mine once said, I don't have anything I could talk about as much as you talk about your reef tank. she said this after hearing Steve and I talk for a few hours about all kinds of reef stuff.

as for discussing the e-bill, let's say when you share the bill w/ your gf who always complains about the cost of the tank, having others also complain about the cost of their bills does nothing to help the matter.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
combining a boutique icecream/coffee shop with a store that sells coral would be intense. you could have long low tanks along the walls that the coral sit inside.
it would be like coral art :) you know it would work. you could be open in the am for the work crowd, the afternoon for the unemployed / freelance crowd, and then late into the evening when reefers would come and drink coffee and buy the coral.
you would also get the late night dessert crowd. the plan is perfect, how could it not work?

inkblue

Rice Planter
Rating - 98.6%
145   2   0
...i get compLaints from my accountaNt that my company is spending too much on advertising, PR, employee productivity is down and i have to layOff people :irked: :sigh1: i wish i could comPlain about my e-biLL, that would be a vacation compar'd to all the other stuFF :arg:

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Im alway talking to my reefer and nonreefer friends abou tthis hobby ,Most nonreefer frineds of my are Impressed with the work ive done ,the out come of my mian tank >
but there are some that look at me and ask why do i spend all this money on the hobby ,My reply is always the same ,I love the hobby ,Very relaxing , and the main thing ,just think ,If all of us where not in the hobby ,We would not Know eachother ,have reef outs ,frags swaps ,and help each other when needed ,Its a hobby with a family.MR family ..
BTW ,I do like to tAlk abou the hobby to others nonreefers only cuz it a good conversation ,and for those who can understand this hobby ,oh well ,sometimes i cant understand other ppls hobby either ,,

drunktank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
what kills ur bill is the MH and really large pumps. I looked at my bills before and after my tank was up and it only went up 30bucks w/ my tank. of course b/c of winter i'm now paying 150 dollars/mnth

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
i tried getting my friends into this hobby once during lab, suddenly my professor came up to me and said do you know reefcentral.com? i told him i do, and during the whole semester my professor and me were buddies, got a A+ for doing so hehhehe.

E-bill that's one of the things i dont talk about, or else i'd get in trouble with my parents and friends, i'll tell you this my new tank is only gonna be limited to 200 watts :p

suntzu

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
JHale shared with me this weekend (as well as others of you have expressed in this thread) the proper etiquette of not discussing the e-bill with non-reefer, especially those that are sharing the cost. I will keep this in mind.

As Sir Edmund Hillary once said, "If You have to ask the Question, You won't understand the Answer."

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
My neighbors dont know the costs involved but they see me building cursing and tinkering constantly. I would not even think of telling the costs associated with the tank. I just let them watch. If they ask I am like aaa aaaa dont really remember but its not too bad.

This is what my cat thinks:
IMG_0455.JPG

I can even get respect from a feline!!!!!!!! :banghead:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: