• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
i could leave, but my wife wont because her family is here, and i kinda like being able to see my kid daily, we moved back to ohio few yr's back and my wife couldnt handle being away from here family, so 5k later and 4 weeks i was back in NY. All i can say and i have lived in 2 other states, Indiana and ohio. i make the same amount of money here as i did there, made a good living there, i'm borderline lower class here. other then offering multiples of the same thing NY offer's nothing that any other state doesnt. and you can always order online if they dont have it, on the general people are nasty attituded, always tripped my wife out when we went back to the mid-west just how nice people were. open doors for you, say thank you ect. for those that have only visited other states you really dont know how they are. most people that have grown up in cities couldnt handle the quiet and peacefulness of the country or small town, just my 2 cents

I'm in a similar situation to you, Nyreefnoob. I grew up in Rochester (just south of, actually) and it was much more rural than Long Island. (There were farms 5 minutes from my house..lol). Beautiful countryside with mountains/valleys/and the finger lakes region is incredible.
You can buy a 2,000 square foot, beautiful house with an acre of land for around $150-200K. Try that anywhere close to here and you're paying close to a million, if not much more depending on location.

In Syracuse (where I went to school) the housing was cheaper, but IMHO it was a much dirtier city and the people weren't friendly. There was literally NOTHING to do. (Other than drink and party.. lol). As a general rule, racism was quite high, unfortunately. Albany was a bit more expensive but I liked that it was closer to NYC and neighboring states are interesting.

And now I live on Long Island. Rent is crazy. But you can make a lot more in the city than Upstate, generally. I like that you can get to almost anywhere quickly and easily. (Even a grocery store/wal mart is almost an hour drive from a buddy of mine who lives outside of Cooperstown).

Long Island has the Ocean, and I love NYC itself.

The people here are the toughest adjustment for me though. It's incredible. You're more likely to get run down and yelled at by an old lady pushing a grocery cart in the supermarket, than having someone say "oops, I'm sorry" and smile at you.

Drivers upstate will actually let someone out onto the main road or the on-ramp. Try that here and you'll not only get a dirty look, but you'll get honked at.

The thing that really irks me though is the demanding, deserved, "I'm better than you" attitude. No. You're not. And I'm not better than you.

I try to be contagious and do nice things like hold doors open for others or let people out onto the road. I remember one time at a restaurant in Roslyn I held the door open for a couple. Not only did they not say thank you, but they completely ignored me and acted like I was put on this planet simply to hold the door open for them. Haha.. :irked: What is it specifically that makes a lot of people on Long Island act like that? Is it because it's too crowded? (somewhat of a rhetorical question).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: