ZANYMASTER

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
410   0   0
Some serious discussion on what you think about the Mayan prediction of Dec 21 2012.According to their calender,their cycle ends on that date and they predict end of the world scenarios but after watching National geographic HD last night,It's unlikely it will end on that date but eerily enough they said it will end in a flood.They were a advanced civilization and great astronomers but their prophecies were merely based on Astrology and their observance of their surroundings.Climate change did wipe out their vegetation or most of it and it came abruptly as a sort of quick ice age.Maybe that's why they predicted the climate thing as a end of world scenario.Maybe it won't end in 2012 but as climate changes continue to occur,it's just a matter of time.Serious replies please and NO political issues here.Thanks.

thesauce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
The earth's poles switch every few hundred thousand years. scientists are unsure what causes this shift, but the planets and sun will all be aligned on 12/12/2012. Thats a lot of gravity tugging at the earths core.

ZANYMASTER

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
410   0   0
The alignment already happened some time ago.No ill effects.It's the sun's flares that will likely be strong enough to knock out power(shorting out the grid) just about everywhere in 2012.Nothing we can't recover from.Still relying on the grid:(

greggnyce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
The earth's poles switch every few hundred thousand years. scientists are unsure what causes this shift, but the planets and sun will all be aligned on 12/12/2012. Thats a lot of gravity tugging at the earths core.

I have heard them same and that some scientist beleive the earths crust will shift on that date.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
One idea is that our solar system rotates around the center of our galaxy (milky way), much like a planet around the sun. In addition to orbiting the dense mass of matter at the center of our galaxy, our solar system also undulates above and below the horizontal center of the galaxy. Basically, if you look at the whole thing from the side, you see a squiggly line. The theory behind drastic weather changes every 10,000 or so years is that this undulation crosses this center point of the galaxy every... you guessed it... 10,000 years or so, with the 10,000 year mark landing in the 2012 range. When this occurs, whack out stuff happens with our magnetic field and what not. Supposedly, in watching the stars and developing their calendars, the Mayans foresaw this without understanding the scientific aspect behind it.

Whether this is true or not, I don't know. But theres really nothing anyone can do about it if it is true.

You can learn more here, there's 9 part in total:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTo0WV7z3-k&feature=related

Last edited:

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
So it may be the end of civilization as we know it, but we may survive.

Man can generate heat (to survive a flash freeze) and we can build flotation devices (to survive a flood. Think "waterworld").

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
My prediction is that NOTHING will happen. This will be another Y2K scare, and a bunch of people will wake up in the morning and feel dumb for thinking the worst.

I can make this prediction with 100% confidence, because if the world ends, no one will be able to tell me they told me so. If not, I live in a world where I am right once again.

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I can make this prediction with 100% confidence, because if the world ends, no one will be able to tell me they told me so.

That's such a copout :tongue1:

I'm a boyscout in heart. "Always prepared".

I have a bag with food, water, flashlights, first-aid kit, camping gear, etc. Full "bug-out" gear for the whole family.

sjsoto

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
our calendar ends every 12 months, that doesnt mean the world will end after those 12 months, the 2012 calender was a lil longer than 12 months, that doesnt mean the world will end once the cycle is over. it just means to reset the calendar thats alll...

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
That's such a copout :tongue1:

I'm a boyscout in heart. "Always prepared".

I have a bag with food, water, flashlights, first-aid kit, camping gear, etc. Full "bug-out" gear for the whole family.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm prepared. Got a pack of smokes, plenty of beer and whiskey, and front row seats to the end of the world. (If the world is going to end, Jersey will be the place to be... trust me! :birthday:)

I might have to have an "End of the World" party. It is on a Friday after all...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: