E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I'm looking to join a new Gym. Preferably one that's not too cheap nor too expensive.

Would like to have the normal equipment (weights and treadmills, etc.) but if it has a basketball court/track/pool/etc it'd be much better.

So, where do you go? What do you recommend? Also, I'd like to hear from you if there's a Gym you don't like. Thanks!

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
i go to golds gym, its good it has all the necessary equipment and its very clean very affordable. the next step up would be LA Fitness and its significantly more expensive and here on long island I hear you have to wait a while for benches and weights which could be annoying but they have a bball court, pool, paddleball court etc.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Thanks for the response. I see you're in Roslyn. I used to live there. Where is Golds? And how much per month, etc? Do you have to wait a lot for the machines there as well?

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
E I dont know what town your in but Xsport Fitness opened a few years ago at Roosevelt Filed-I know is weird to go to the mall to workout lol Also in Hicksville where I am New York Sports Club opened up a brand new place last year on Duffy Avenune just off of Newbridge Road (Rt.106)

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions. Chef, are you a current member at xsport?

Do you guys know if they have a pool there? I guess I'll find out tonight because I'm going to check it out.

If that doesn't work, I can always try the gym in Hicksville.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
So Kerrin and I went to xsport tonight and it was great. We're definitely going. We signed up for a one month try out.

The place was great. Clean, everyone seemed friendly, has a nice pool, basketball, all the weights and cardio I could want.. even a hot tub, lol.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
XSPORT is nice right? I never joined was a member in a hole in the wall place then had my near death experience involving the 2 wheeled mode of vehicular travel, but I liked what I saw just never had the chance...oh well one day when am totally healed I guess....:sick:

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
All right. I'm going to bump this up.

I am considering the NY Sports Club. I get a company discount and it gets pretty good reviews.

By the way.. xSport SUCKS. They used some crafty sales tactics and lied to get us to join. Bunch of absolute goons. I'll never go back there (even for free). Lol.

Planet fitness sucks too honestly. $10 per month is too cheap. It's so insanely crowded and everyone with a cell phone seems to sit on all the popular machines and chat away. It's more of an afterschool hang out. Plus their equipment selection is poor and it's getting dirty. Gross. :lol2:

walnuts24

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I go to Lifetime Fitness in Syosset right off the LIE on Robbins lane and I love it

They have indoor pool, outdoor pool, bball court, rock climbing walls etc.... Never have any problems with waiting for anything and I go around primetime (5 pm). If you want to try and out I can bring you as a guest one day.

It is rather expensive but if you join as a couple or a family the price per person goes way down. Definitely worth the money if you use it for all its amenities.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
That looks good. Do you have pricing info? It'd be for my wife and I. There is a place to request pricing online but you need to give phone and email and I'm not doing that :D

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I have been at xsport since they opened and my best friend is the assistant manager there. Its a great gym but if you plan on going during prime time (weekdays around 7-10pm) its very packed. other than thats its good

another gym i belong too is Retro Fitness. its cheaper than Xsport at 20 or 25 a month but you dont get a pool/Basketball. They just opened a new location across from best buy on old country road, but the one I goto is in GlenCove. Equipment is top notch and its the best value.

I wouldnt waste my time at a planet fitness. Golds garden city is a good gym. Lifetime Fitness in syosset is very expensive. NYSC is on the expensive side as well and you'll see alot of guys in Ferrari sweat pants lol

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
my girlfriend is a sales person at xsport pm me if you are interested as long as you go to her, i am sure she can work out an MR deal for you!

Unless the staff has experienced significant turn over since 2010 (since I was there last), I feel REALLY bad for your girlfriend.

EDIT: also, I do appreciate the offer, though!! Thanks!

Last edited:

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I have been at xsport since they opened and my best friend is the assistant manager there. Its a great gym but if you plan on going during prime time (weekdays around 7-10pm) its very packed. other than thats its good

another gym i belong too is Retro Fitness. its cheaper than Xsport at 20 or 25 a month but you dont get a pool/Basketball. They just opened a new location across from best buy on old country road, but the one I goto is in GlenCove. Equipment is top notch and its the best value.

I wouldnt waste my time at a planet fitness. Golds garden city is a good gym. Lifetime Fitness in syosset is very expensive. NYSC is on the expensive side as well and you'll see alot of guys in Ferrari sweat pants lol

Thanks man, I completely agree regarding Planet Fitness. It's too bad because outside of Long Island (at their upstate locations especially) the gym was actually pretty good. The price was still $20/month back then, so maybe thats why. Anyway, Ill have to check out Retro Fitness. I've never heard of that one.

As I was saying above, xsport was a great gym (equipment and pool, basketball, etc). However, back in 2010 I dealt with a couple of stuck up, shady car sales-men type employees (I'm sure your buddy is not like that) and girls that thought they were celeb-status hot. :lol2: If that type of person still works there, you couldn't pay me to attend that gym.

Ill take Ferrari sweatpants all day over how we (especially my wife) were treated at xsport. How much is xsport anyway? I can get NYSC for about $50/month through my job.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: