emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
We just got our first dog, an 11 week old french bulldog I picked up a book about bulldogs and have read most of it .
I started crate training the dog the first day and he seams to love the crate except when you first leave him by himself he cries and screams I guess separation anxiety . He stops the crying after about 3 minutes I ignore him like the book says while hes crying.
He is doing pretty good with potty training but today (2nd day)he had an accident while jumping on his bed.
I know there are lots of dog owners and at least one vet on here
but have some questions about vet care.
Is it wise to get insurance ? would it cover the shots and everything ?
He came with the following shots :
Date of birth 9/27/2010
10/11 deworm strongid
10/18 neopar shot
10/25 deworm strongid
11/8 deworm striongid
11/15 7 way shots
12/6 strongid

When should his vet visit be ? My friend who bought the dog as a present for us said in 1 month. I picked up the dog from the airport it came from a reputable breeder from texas dont know the name but friend will be giving me the info when the papers come.
I am using Merrick puppy food Good or Bad ?
heres a cellphone pic

Attachments

• dogg.jpg
    dogg.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

jcurry

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't wait a month. Usually the health guarantees state you have to have the puppy checked by your vet within a few days of receiving it or it voids the guarantee. I love French Bulldogs but they have a lot of health issues so get that puppy to vet ASAP. Good luck it's a very cute dog.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
How's it going man. I just rescued a dog recently and was going through the same situation as you. Vet insurance is really your call and I don't know what plans are available to you. Generally speaking it covers the big stuff and not the routine stuff like shots... but it depends. Check your dog's papers and assess if there really is a need. I would take him to a Vet ASAP just so you can ensure he has a clean bill of health, it never hurts to get a second opinion.

Start getting him socialized early. Start slow and introduce him to sounds, smells, people, etc. You will not regret it.

I see you have a harness. That's all well and good but pick up a training collar and get started on a consistent training plan.

For Dog Food I used Science Diet but am changing over to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. Halo is good as well. Try to get stuff with natural ingredients.

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Congratulations on your first dog. Frenchies are super cute but as you have heard have many issues so require careful monitoring.
I would certainly get pet insurance. Purina is the best as far as what they cover. All it takes is one emergency visit and the insurance will pay for itself.
Also, certainly take him to a vet now to have him evaluated.
Regarding food whatever the dog is eating now (I believe merrick) keep with it and dont switch the foods often as that can create a problem.
Harness ONLY for ALL bulldogs. No collars as they are already not built well for breathing and they also have back problems often.

Once again congrats on the new addition, they are adorable.

emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
thanks everyone i took him to the vet yesterday (cityvet) they said he's perfect gave him the last deworm shot he needed and said to come back middle of january for a 5 way shot
i m still thinking about insurance but at 600 a year you have to pay the first 250 in bills annualy and then 20% ofbills decisions decisions

nick96ss

That thing got a HEMI ?
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
manny talk to anthony at work . his daughter got a dog that ended up in the hospital
$1600....i think the insurance is a good thing .

akma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I would highly recommend insurance. My female chihuahua was never spayed just because in my own mind I would've hated to have something of mine cut out. Had to get her surgery because her uterus developed an infection and she was leaking nonstop blood. Cost us little over 5k to have it removed.

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I would highly recommend insurance. My female chihuahua was never spayed just because in my own mind I would've hated to have something of mine cut out. Had to get her surgery because her uterus developed an infection and she was leaking nonstop blood. Cost us little over 5k to have it removed.

Listen to everyone and get insurance plus spayed/neutered!

one visit to my hospital usually costs $3000.00 for anything even remotely serious so the insurance will pay for itself even if it only covers 50% of your initial costs.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: