Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 02:10 AM
Reefer Ratings: (71 (100%)
Friends: (97)
Send a Private Message
Long Island Long Island people..

As a lot of you know I have been going through some drama w/ my landlord. This crap inspired me to just buy a house LOL. I'm looking in LI probably going to be in Suffolk hopefully a property where I don't have to pay 10 grand in taxes. It's crazy out there! I just wanted some insight on what areas are good since I don't know much about the areas out there.

I have been looking in the brentwood,medford ,patchogue and bay shore areas. Brentwood has some good deals but I hear mixed reviews. I have a little boy who is going to be 3 in May so school districts are also a concern. I know there is quite a few members from li so any insight would be much appreciated guys.

Thanks!

P.S. This summer I will definitely be having a big bbq for all my MR people!
Old 03-29-2011, 06:44 AM
Reefer Ratings: (58 (100%)
Friends: (41)
Send a Private Message
Check out lindenhurst I bought a house here about a year ago .sold my condo in bayside and bought a house .taxes are reasonable and pretty good school distract .ur get a lot for ur money
Old 03-29-2011, 06:46 AM
Reefer Ratings: (58 (100%)
Friends: (41)
Send a Private Message
If u want I'll take some numbers down of.some.for sale houses for u
Old 03-29-2011, 06:51 AM
Reefer Ratings: (22 (100%)
Friends: (46)
Send a Private Message My Facebook View jdnumis's Twitter Profile
you can look at www.mlsli.com for listings, property tax and schooling.

Hope that helps,

~James

Old 03-29-2011, 07:19 AM
Reefer Ratings: (13 (100%)
Friends: (31)
Send a Private Message My Facebook
If you want to come out this way its not bad. Rocky pt and Miller Place school districts are nice. You want to stay away from Miller Place town cause of the taxes but Sound Beach and Rocky point arent that bad. Plus, we are 2 mins from the beach lol. Good luck finding a place man! Def look at schools cause there are some crappy schools on the island

Renegade Reefer
Old 03-29-2011, 07:20 AM
Reefer Ratings: (42 (100%)
Friends: (33)
Send a Private Message
On Long Island you ask yourself how much you want to spend, than you pick the area that fits your budget Lol. I'm in Kings Park and LOVE it. Great Schools (If you have or plan on having kids this is VERY important) and low to average taxes. Fort Salonga, St. James, Smithtown on the North shore are nice. I grew up part in Holbrook and than moved to Smithtown.

I feel bad for those trying to buy a house right now. We bought ours 5 years ago. 3% down and 5.2% fixed for 20 years. I'm happy right now.

Now analysts say banks won't look at you unless your credit score is north of 720 and your putting 20-30% down. And the banks want that in cash. Real nice. We bail them out and than they rob us some more...

Good luck in your hunt!

Founding member of the SCRP.

It's all about the basics. Truly "caring" about your setup and devoting the time to making it all work. PATIENCE is perhaps the best action but the hardest to come by at times.....
Old 03-29-2011, 07:34 AM
Reefer Ratings: (38 (100%)
Friends: (64)
Send a Private Message
i love my town of middle island
wait the 2 house for sale on my block too
check it out
and my taxes are only 3700 a year \
check it out that would make 4 reefers on the same block ha ha ha
Old 03-29-2011, 08:07 AM
Reefer Ratings: (42 (100%)
Friends: (33)
Send a Private Message
Man I thought I was good at $4100 a year Lol.

Founding member of the SCRP.

It's all about the basics. Truly "caring" about your setup and devoting the time to making it all work. PATIENCE is perhaps the best action but the hardest to come by at times.....
Old 03-29-2011, 08:09 AM
Reefer Ratings: (13 (100%)
Friends: (31)
Send a Private Message My Facebook
Man thats cheaper than here, Im at 6500 a year!

Renegade Reefer
Old 03-29-2011, 08:17 AM
Reefer Ratings: (28 (100%)
Friends: (21)
Send a Private Message
port jefferson station has some good deals also, taxes are ok.

Rob S.

200 Gal.DD display- ATB 8.5 Deluxe Skimmer - 75 Gal Sump - Reeflo Dart - 3 Tunze 6105's- Tunze7095 Controller - Mp60wes - BRS Dual Reactors - 2 Coral Vue Lumenbrite Halides with 250wt Radiums - 48" acan led strip - ATB KD150 Ca. Reactor -Neptune Apex