griMReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the won't even ring your bell anymore, it's new company policy.

maybe they have a new contract with motion sensors companies :lol2:

anyways now might be the perfect time to install one if you are a private residence.

or leave the front door open for them. :scratchch

(or take all your business to your friendly lfs? :D )

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Must be really new...

Last week when they came they rang the door bell.

Usually he just rings and leaves the boxes at the front door. The UPS guy always rings and if no answer, he walks around the back of the house and places them in the patio.

I usually select UPS for deliveries when possoble. If UPS isn't an option I schedule the delivery for when my wife is working from home.

Rich

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Wow I haven't heard about this. So what do they do for signature confirmation? Anything that you order online will always need signature confirmation, otherwise "Hello Marine Depot, yeah I never got those Halides". Fed-Ex is not about to start leaving big DELL boxes on people's steps.

On another note I always choose Fed-Ex over UPS for live goods and UPS over Fed-Ex for dry goods. I would NEVER trust UPS with something live. I've also had several UPS drivers say to me "This isn't alive is it, you don't want to send live things via UPS trust me" Being that they work for the company I'll take their word for it.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
fritz said:
I would NEVER trust UPS with something live. I've also had several UPS drivers say to me "This isn't alive is it, you don't want to send live things via UPS trust me" Being that they work for the company I'll take their word for it.

:wow: that's good info to have.

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
fritz said:
On another note I always choose Fed-Ex over UPS for live goods and UPS over Fed-Ex for dry goods. I would NEVER trust UPS with something live. I've also had several UPS drivers say to me "This isn't alive is it, you don't want to send live things via UPS trust me" Being that they work for the company I'll take their word for it.

True, I have never had the option of UPS for live shipments. Every place I have purchased from sends it Fedex only. So I always get my live stuff when the wife is gonna be home.

Rich

griMReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fritz said:
Wow I haven't heard about this. So what do they do for signature confirmation? Anything that you order online will always need signature confirmation, otherwise "Hello Marine Depot, yeah I never got those Halides". Fed-Ex is not about to start leaving big DELL boxes on people's steps.

heeheeh, yeah fritz and jhale the UPS guy said the same thing when i received my rock (2 X so far) because the walt boxes have " live animals" i said no its just aquarium rocks that need to be kept from harsh temperatures, then he said oh because they get a whole lotta shaking up :)

fritz thats what im wondering -- my brother got $300 in livestock from saltwater fish and called to complain they left out in the snow without even ringing or knocking or asking for signature like they used to, thats when they told him didnt you read about our new policy with fedex? your deads are void! anyway i told him just file a chargeback directly with his bank card and don't bother arguing with swfish, who threatened to sue him for fraud since like 5 out of 15 things died from being left out in the cold.

obviously if its ELECTRONICS like a laptop they will ask for signature. thats why i don't get it, $300 in livestock is alotta dough too!!! hasn't anyone ordered stuff from tigerdirect or pcMall? nowdays they run a :usa1: credit check and ask you all kind of VERY personal questions (ie, your siblings names, the last name of the previous owner the house you live in etc) EVEN if you pay by credit card. :smash: doesn't that suck???

:letitallo

griMReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rborgia said:
Ahh Grim is actually a UPS employee trying to drum up business...

Nice!

"Please read the following very important information about FedEx delivery:

All Saltwaterfish.com orders are now shipped with no signature required, so it is very important that you keep an eye on your order status so you know what day your order is being delivered. This is a very simple process, but it will need your attention. Saltwaterfish.com has an Order Status button that can be found on the left side of every page of the website. Please use this button to keep an eye on your order status. FedEx will no longer knock on your door or wait for you to sign for the package. In most cases they will simply drop off the package at your front door. This is a new policy for FedEx. It is very important that you are aware of when your order has shipped and the day it will arrive. Remember, in addition to the order status button, you will also receive a tracking number via email the day your order has shipped (check your spam filters).

If you check your order status on the day it is shipping and the status says "Delivered" that means we have generated a FedEx airway bill number (tracking number) for your order. Please be aware that FedEx may not update the tracking number information until 8pm the day your order is shipped.

If you have been watching your order status and you've tracked your package you should be aware of roughly when your package will be delivered. FedEx delivers to almost all areas before 10:30am, some areas before noon, and certain rural areas may not get delivery until the afternoon. You do not want your package to sit on your doorstep for long periods in extreme heat or extreme cold weather. Remember, you can always leave a note on your door for FedEx to give them further instructions. If you have somewhere around your house where you want FedEx to leave the packages (under porch, garage, etc.) please leave a note for them on your door, but they are not required to take those extra steps and they will not deliver to a neighbor, down the street, etc. Remember that they are in a hurry and time is of the essence for them. As long as you stay on top of your order status everything will be very easy and smooth.

All live goods orders are shipped FedEx Priority Overnight; Live Rock and Live Sand is shipped 2nd Day FedEx; Dry Goods are shipped FedEx Ground.

If you have a FedEx station in your area it is always a good idea to use our Hold at FedEx option at the end of the shopping cart. This means the package will be held at the FedEx station and will be available for you to pickup between 9am-5pm on the day it is scheduled to be delivered. You will need to show them your Driver's License. Remember, if you use this option on a future order be sure to use the FedEx station address as your DELIVERY ADDRESS (instead of your home or business). Some FedEx Kinkos offices will also hold your package if you want to keep the box inside during the wintertime until you are available to pick it up later that day, but be sure to check with them first and use their address as your delivery address.

We look forward to serving you in the future and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to email <A href="mailto:[email protected]?subject=Delivery">[email protected]. "

griMReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
House of Laughter said:
Do what i do - have them ship it to a fedex location and pick it up there - this way you avoid the whole ring the bell thing AND you can likely get your animals at 9:30 am - only 16hrs after they were shipped. I have done this with the clam orders and have had 100% success - no DOA's

House

yeah, its either that or sitting at your window from 9 am (surfin MR of course) until up to like 330 pm.

or get a dog?

:biggrin:

anyway maybe the "Policy" they refer to is some "drop ship" discount they get with Fedex if they don't require signatures NOR hand to customer.

i never did get SW fish anyway since its bad advertising ($16 Free Shipping) :argue:

soon they'll be doin curbside only :biggrin:

fritz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
griMReefer said:
All Saltwaterfish.com orders are now shipped with no signature required,

This is a Saltwaterfish.com "new policy" not a Fed-Ex policy. Saltwaterfish.com has decided to instruct Fed-Ex to leave packages on your door (a GREAT idea in the winter months!) :smash:

How crazy! Please post whenever you order something from them over $500 :kidding:

griMReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fritz said:
This is a Saltwaterfish.com "new policy" not a Fed-Ex policy. Saltwaterfish.com has decided to instruct Fed-Ex to leave packages on your door (a GREAT idea in the winter months!) :smash:

How crazy! Please post whenever you order something from them over $500 :kidding:

once my LR is fully cured, i just might do that IF i can stick around looking out for a delivery all day. my dogs usually bark at the slightest movement of the yard gate.

does anyone remember FLYING FISH EXPRESS (acquired by liveaquaria)? Very bad memory with them just came to mind. i guess yeah these lazy policies are more the merchant than the carriers issues... except maybe UPS knocking up ground packages lol. UPS air is pretty decent....

GlobalFishNet (old livestock merchant in CA) and Airborne (carrier) used to be the best IMO.

fritz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
griMReefer said:
once my LR is fully cured, i just might do that IF i can stick around looking out for a delivery all day. my dogs usually bark at the slightest movement of the yard gate.

does anyone remember FLYING FISH EXPRESS (acquired by liveaquaria)? Very bad memory with them just came to mind. i guess yeah these lazy policies are more the merchant than the carriers issues... except maybe UPS knocking up ground packages lol. UPS air is pretty decent....

GlobalFishNet (old livestock merchant in CA) and Airborne (carrier) used to be the best IMO.

I just bought a box of the Fiji LR from Dr Foster & Smith, formerly FF Express, I thought it was great stuff.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Here is an email I got from reeftopia after I placed my order few days ago:

We ship Fed Ex Priority Overnight which delivers by 10:30 AM in _most

> areas_. Please check with Fed Ex for the delivery time in your area.

>

>

> SIGNATURE ON FILE?????..

>

> It has come to our attention that many of our customers have a signature

> on file with Fed Ex, some unknowingly. We do request a signature but, any

> signature on file seems to over ride ours.

>

> THE ONLY STIPULATION TO OUR GUARANTEE IS THAT SOMEONE BE THERE TO SIGN FOR

> YOUR PACKAGE?_.ESPECIALLY AT THIS TIME OF YEAR._

>

> If you are not sure if you have a signature on file or what priority

> service by Fed Ex is offered in your area please check with them for the

> delivery time. That will help you better plan their arrival and having

> someone there to sign. It doesn?t happen that often but, yes Fed Ex

> can run late and worse yet, early. The phone number for Fed Ex is below.

>

griMReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;) thats really smart of reeftopia to even point out to customers that they may have an overriding "signature release" on file. unfortunately it looks like SW is going the opposite way. and guess what? just got off the phone with liveaquaria (customer service, jessica) and asked if i have to be home for the order im considering next week or so. she said they have a new agreement where you dont have to be home, you can leave a note to have it left in the porch, neighbors place, etcetera, as the agreement is that they leave it at your door, NOT get a signature while still guaranteeing the shipment. this is weird! things have changed since i last ordered LIVE fish and corals.

so in a nutshell if youre not going to be at your door in cold weather for an expected shipment, don't do it, go the LFSs.. or reeftopia... or other quality livestockers out there...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: