Humblefish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Transfer Method is an effective (non-chemical) treatment for Marine Ich. However, it's weakness has always been an inability to eliminate other external parasites/worms such as Velvet, Brook and Flukes. For those who may not be familiar with TTM read this: Tank Transfer Method

What if using chemical(s) in conjunction with the transfers could provide a more all-inclusive QT regimen?

1. The primary chemical I have in mind is hydrogen peroxide, which can be sourced at any grocery or drug store, even Walmart. In this field trial, a single treatment with 75-150 mg/L hydrogen peroxide greatly reduced levels of Amyloodinium (velvet) infestation, and a second treatment 6 days later reduced Amyloodinium trophonts to a nondetectable level: The Application of Hydrogen Peroxide as a Treatment for the Ectoparasite Amyloodinium ocellatum (Brown 1931) on the Pacific Threadfin Polydactylus sexfilis

2. Formalin can be used in lieu of hydrogen peroxide, if desired. However, a formalin bath should last at least 45 minutes (30 minutes for peroxide) and a formalin bath should be heavily aerated (use a static bath when treating with peroxide). Also, formaldehyde is a known carcinogen, so I highly recommend using waterproof gloves and wearing a face mask when doing the baths (peroxide is safer).

3. Unfortunately, there has been at least one instance of flukes surviving 2 peroxide baths SO I've incorporated two praziquantel treatments (optional) into Hybrid TTM. You would use either Prazipro or API General Cure, but given the low risk of failure I am reiterating that using prazi is optional. You could also deworm using fenbendazole (12 hours @ 95 mg/gallon) in lieu of prazi. But if you go with formalin (above), that probably makes having to dose praziquantel or fenbendazole even more unnecessary!

So let's put this all together:

Day 1
– Fish is placed in initial QT. 30 minutes before transfer (Day 4), turn off all pumps/water movement and dose 150 ppm H2O2 as outlined here: Hydrogen Peroxide (or dose Formalin 45 minutes before transfer with additional gas exchange running)

Day 4 – Roughly 72 hours later transfer the fish to new tank. The time of day you do the transfer is unimportant, but never exceed 72 hours from the last transfer. The temperature and SG of the new tank should match the old one perfectly, so you can just catch & release (no acclimation). Transfer as little water as possible with the fish. You also have the option of dosing Prazipro or General Cure 24 hours prior to Day 7 transfer if you wish to deworm.

Day 7 – Repeat. 30 minutes before transfer (Day 10), turn off all pumps/water movement and dose 150 ppm H2O2 as outlined here: Hydrogen Peroxide

Day 10 – Repeat, and no further chemical treatments are necessary UNLESS you are needing to dose Prazipro or General Cure again (24 hours prior to Day 13 transfer) in order to complete deworming.

Day 13Repeat transfer and done (fish should now be parasite & worm free!!!)

^^ Please note that H2O2 is only dosed twice, 6 days apart and for a maximum of 30 minutes. (Or formalin is used instead for 45 minutes.) The Prazipro or General Cure treatments are done on alternating transfers (never combine with H2O2 or formalin) for 24 hours prior to transfer. Everything else about doing TTM stays exactly the same!

Why TTM is still needed with H2O2:
IMO; it is unlikely that H2O2 can penetrate through a fish's epithelium (outer skin layer) to reach Ich trophonts. Eliminating "surface" parasites & worms is a more realistic expectation. So, TTM is still needed to prophylactically address the possibility of Ich!

Does the above sound confusing?? If so, please don't hesitate to ask questions or make suggestions on how I can explain things better. I'm always tweaking my write-ups. Below are some useful links which are applicable to Hybrid Tank Transfer Method:

Clinical Trials (Use this forum to document your experiences & results with Hybrid TTM.)

Hybrid TTM Discussion Thread (Use this forum to ask questions and for general Hybrid TTM discussion.)

Fish + peroxide compatibility list (Please view & add to the list!)

Other thoughts/concerns:
  1. Avoid using H2O2 (or formalin) on fish with an open wound or obvious infection. Although H2O2 is an antiseptic, it has been found to slow the healing process and possibly worsen scarring by killing the healthy cells surrounding a cut.
  2. It is only reasonable to assume that H2O2 treats parasites/worms on the outside of a fish. Internal parasites & worms will need to be treated separately: Internal Issues
  3. Post treatment, it is always wise to observe the fish in a non-medicated observation tank. (The final transfer tank can be used for observation.) This applies whether you are utilizing Traditional TTM or Hybrid TTM, to ensure treatment was successful. Using black mollies in this observation tank can help ensure no diseases are still present: Black Molly Quarantine

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: