pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Thanks Tristan, I'm going to see what happens in the next 30 days or so and if the Chaeto stabilizes. I stopped dosing the Kent Strontium/Molybdenum & Brightwell Boron as of 6/30/15. These 2 items were dosed daily for 30 days and since I'm not testing these levels, I don't want to over dose these elements. The Iron/Manganese is still dosed daily.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
It's not :(
Still running but I have paid no attention to them. Lowered the lighting schedule from 15 to 12 hours to see if that made any difference, reduced the Iron/Manganese to 3x week from daily, reduced the Boron to 1x a week from daily, totally stopped the Molybdenum/Strontium and no difference.
The E24 from a top view looks like it's holding on to the last Chaeto seeding but definitely not growing enough to be pruned. The C30 is not holding on at all. Top view looks like all or most of the Chaeto has died out.

alron

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Me too. I dunno. Maybe we shld not be using protein skimmer and phosban or anything to lower d phosphate just to grow chaeto. But i bought it not to show chaeto growth but to help my sps display tank flourish and my priority is my display tank over the chaeto.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Interesting. I used to not be able to grow chaeto. At 3 different times I had a different problem.

1. Super low nutrients
2. I first used a regular light bulb because I saw that other people did. It wasn't until I switched to LED par 38 that it grew a ton.

3. There was a time when my growth slowed a ton. My alkalinity and calcium had over dosed and until the levels went back to normal my chaeto was unimpressive.

Is there a deficiency in either of those?

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Hi Tony,
Two fold.
I have not been able to successfully grow Chaeto up until recently in one system. The smaller system utilizing the E24 started up for the first time recently since April after 4 reseeds of Chaeto.
I took a photo right before pruning:

The levels of Nitrate & Phosphate have gone up so your question is somewhat correct.
The larger fowlr system with the C30 has not been successful at all in attempts to grow Chaeto.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pecan2phat - Yes, I have a nice step ladder in my fish room as I need it to do anything in my 30" tall tank. I chose the Vectra because it is cheaper than a red dragon and I want a nice variable speed DC pump that I can control the flow on. Now I just need to get some Chaetomorpha for the reactor!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys deal with the light bleed out of the reactor? With a reverse photo period, my fish room is lit up all night. I have the ARID 30 so the light only comes out the top. I was thinking of getting a custom cut piece of vinal to place on the top. I am open to other suggestions that look good and don't impact the head exchanger.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: