Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard they closed for good. Sad news. I hate when LFS close. I try too support my LFS when I can instead of ordering online due too this reason. You may pay a little more than online sometimes, but there is nothing like having one close by in case of emergency reasons. Well despite the sad news, they say when one door closes in life another one opens. I had found my next go too spot in Albertson and couldn't be happier. The store is the new kid on the block and the owner is super knowledgable, prices good and live stock and corals are super healthy. Support your LFS so we won't loose any more stores around us guys. I would hate too travel too NJ. lol. Happy Reefing all

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
thats a shame. I liked this place. Only visited a hand full of times because im pretty far away, but tried to hit it when I had to pass through the area to get to LI.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Wow, if this is true this would be two stores with in a month. Today location and running a good business is important. Never been there but always offering sales in vendor market. Tough business to make a living. Can a LFS make it by just selling fish and coral? Hate to see any LFS closed it's doors.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Definitely a tough business. Unless your able to split yourself into two, hard to find workers that will make you successful in this type of commerce.
Certainly not the era of Aqua Stock, I'm sure you remember that place Mike :)

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
I remember back to Ed's Aquarium, boy that was a long time ago.

It's definitely a tough business, which makes you wonder with the cost of rent, utilities, people, and finding the right people, it's not better to just setup a small store and try to run it by yourself or with a small select staff of people, almost like running it out of your basement. The question is, is that really a long term road to success or just a short time play?

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
All the good salt stores were out in Jersey but the few haunts in the city was FishTown on 34th St, FishTown and PetLand on Nassau St that I can recall. Once in a while, used to hit Coral Aquarium on Roosevelt Ave in Queens.

Sustained longevity is tough in this business, look at Ralph's place when he was at Central Park Ave. Every time he brought in mariculture acros, there were so many people that there was actually an 1 hour + wait with a deli counter ticket system so that if you didn't get there an hour before they opened, you usually ended up with a mediocre selection at best. With or without the acro specials, every time I went there, I spent a few hundred so it was more then a sale driven event with his store. I used to drive 70 miles one way to this store but felt that it out competed any LFS in CT with overall health, selection and pricing. It seemed like he had good success and then poof, he closed down and moved.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
I remember back to Ed's Aquarium, boy that was a long time ago.

It's definitely a tough business, which makes you wonder with the cost of rent, utilities, people, and finding the right people, it's not better to just setup a small store and try to run it by yourself or with a small select staff of people, almost like running it out of your basement. The question is, is that really a long term road to success or just a short time play?

I remember Ed's Aquarium or tropical? I use to get bettas and visit Rocky the black piranha. He used a lot of color glass gravel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: