rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I have decided to start a thread which "documents" a Pom Pom crab that I take care of.
I purchased him/her around December of 2009. He/she was instantly placed into my 120 gallon mixed reef. All was well....
In June of 2010 I was forced to breakdown my tank and set up two (2) 34 gallon Solana Tanks.

Here are 2 pictures of the Pom Pom in the 34 Solana (9/18/10), notice how the Anemones are full and healthy:
IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

After a few months the Anemones began to wither and eventually died. Here are a few progression shots to show how things changed:

(4/20/11)
Bristle Worm has replaced missing Anemone:
IMG_0048-1.jpg

(5/25/11) Both anemones have died, and a few Bristle Worms have come and gone:
IMG_2604.jpg

IMG_2608.jpg

(6/28/11) A newly added Coral had a Aiptasia Anemone on it as a Hitchhiker, and before I could Majano Wand it, the Pom Pom Crab "stole" it:
IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

I will continue to update this thread as the Pom Pom Crab finds more useful toys to play with.

Last edited:

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
They use the Anemones they hold for catching food, which they pick out and eat, and to fend off any attackers. In my nano there are no predators or threats so the crab is able to live without the protection of the anemones.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I never noticed any problem with the crab and it's Anemones. The crab generally hides during the day, so there is little chance of stinging coral then. The crab generally holds the Anemones up high into the water when trying to "catch" food.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Picod: I would not recommend this invert for a nano. I attribute the Anemones (Pom Pom's) dying to the nano tank...cleaner water, less room, etc. However, if you are intent on adding one to your eventual upgrade, I would be meore than happy to give you mine for free at that point in time.

RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Mine was in a 30 breeder and then gpt moved to 45 marineland cube. I think they need more hidin spaces then room. The shroom were on a huge colony so im not really worried and it looks cool.

I wouldnt throw then in a 8 gallon nano but mine is also 4 inches from end of leg to end of leg. It lives with my kliens buttefly and yellow wat hmen in that hole

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I would not suggest it. The only time it thrived was in my 120 gl tank, where I never saw it. Now I see it at night a little and the "Pom Poms" aka Anemones died off in my Solana. I am also afraid the aiptasia will relase spores and spread, but I will have to wait and see...and hope.

With that said, it only did well when I never saw it, not a good animal for home aquariums.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: