Wolverine57

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.4%
246   4   0
When I first joined MR back in 2006, one tank that left an inprint in my mind was Randy aka Prattreef! After seeing how amazing his corals, so colorful and big...you can see the years of dedication and the love he has for this hobby. I hope someday, I can have a mix reef tank like his.

Anyway, some remember Randy famous duncan! Well, I have the opportunity to own some of his corals, including his famous duncans and I still have one of the rarest colorful RBTA from his anemone tank!

I'm sure some of you here have a piece of Prattreef Havens...Please post pics of corals you got from his tank.

Prattreef duncan
NewZoapics033.jpg

NewZoapics038.jpg

Prattreef RBTA
NewZoapics026.jpg

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Ha , funny thread. It is a happy coincidence that you posted the pic. of the Duncan. I lost my large colony a few years back and just the other day Josh decided to part with his now quite sizable colony grown from a frag from me. It is really nice to have it back!

A little history for newer hobbyists-- Duncanopsammia axifugia is only found in Australia and until relatively recently ( 5 yrs.?) corals were not exported from Australia. Sometime in the 1980's Julian Sprung was able to acquire a few small frags and as he grew them out, he spread a few frags around to hobbyists around the country. I was one of the lucky ones. Until Aussie coral exports began ALL Duncans in the US were traceable back to Julian, and most of the Duncans in NYC metro area were traceable back to me or Greg Scheimer and a very small handful of other local hobbyists.

Last edited:

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Ha , funny thread. It is a happy coincidence that you posted the pic. of the Duncan. I lost my large colony a few years back and just the other day Josh decided to part with his now quite sizable colony grown from a frag from me. It is really nice to have it back!

A little history for newer hobbyists-- Duncanopsammia axifugia is only found in Australia and until relatively recently ( 5 yrs.?) corals were not exported from Australia. Sometime in the 1980's Julian Sprung was able to acquire a few small frags and as he grew them out, he spread a few frags around to hobbyists around the country. I was one of the lucky ones. Until Aussie coral exports began ALL Duncans in the US were traceable back to Julian, and most of the Duncans in NYC metro area were traceable back to me or Greg Scheimer and a very small handful of other local hobbyists.

Now that's a DBTC lineage of epic proportion.

Glad you got it back Randy

House

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: