Dee12dee12

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Anyone have any experience with these cameras. Will be using camera for most importantly taking photos of baby that will be here in 2 months. Then maybe my display tank. I would like to use the camera for pictures and videos. Websites Ive visited has given the Nikon 5100 a good nod over the Canon T3i, but it seems that customer reveiws prefer the Canon T3i. From my research various sites state that the picture quality for Nikon is superior, and the Canon's video quality and ease of use is by far superior.

I havent even opened the box so I can easily exchange the Nikon for the Canon. Any help would be apprieciated. Thanks

jsanfilippo5

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am actually a pro photographer - and I shoot Nikon - But if I was buying an entry level SLR, I would pick up the rebel t3i. I have never been happy with Nikons consumer grade bodies or lenses.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly :)

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
I have a t3i. I may not be using it to its full potential but I'm not completely happy with it. I was told I need a better lens. The photo just doesn't seem to capture the color of my coral under blue light.

The video recording is great. Clear and easy to use.

The camera doesn't focus well when using the screen view. Focuses great thru the sight. Very slow to focus or doesn't focus when using the viewer.

Anyone know a good lens for the t3i?

Last edited:

Dee12dee12

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a t3i. I may not be using it to its full potential but I'm not completely happy with it. I was told I need a better lens. The photo just doesn't seem to capture the color of my coral under blue light.

The video recording is great. Clear and easy to use.

The camera doesn't focus well when using the screen view. Focuses great thru the sight. Very slow to focus or doesn't focus when using the viewer.

Anyone know a good lens for the t3i?

Those are some of the cons that I've read while researching. Thanks

Dee12dee12

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I ended up returning the Nikon D5100 and picking up the Canon T3i. After calling numerous stores and speaking with Nikon customer service I decided that the canon would be the best choice for me. The customer service rep at Nikon for some reason attempted to steer me away from the D5100 and purchase the D90. I told him I would be using the camera for family photos and video to which he then gave me the vibe that he wasn't too thrilled with the video capabilities of the D5100.

So based on reviews heavily leaning towards the video capabilities of the Canon a the Nikon rep leaving a sour taste in my mouth I have switched to the Canon T3i. The Nikon may be slightly better for images but I'll take the total package the Canon T3i offers. Again thank you guys for your replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: