NanoAquatic

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.5%
364   2   0
Before going back to Korea, my uncle gave me his Nikon D5000 with two lens'. First one is "AF-S NIKKOR DX 18-200mm 1.3.5-5.6GII ED" and the second one is "AF-S NIKKOR 18-55mm 1.3.5-5.6GII ED"... Now, I'm an absolute newbie when it comes to cameras. Can anyone tell me which lens i'm supposed to use to take pics for corals and fish? If neither doesn't work which one should I get? Also, share some of your settings that you use on your Nikkon so I at least have a clue what I need to do.

The only experience I had with a camera is with a point and shoot =T
Any help will be much appreciated. I tried to google... but people are writing in languages that looks foreign to me.:knockedou

wonderballz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
18-55 will be a good walk around lens. You will prob need a good amount of light for both lenses, so an external flash may be beneficial. As far as settings, I would familiarize yourself with the White balance and general workings of the camera. If this is your first time using a DSLR, Shoot some pics before the trip, but I would prob stay in some of the automatic modes for the trip. This way you won't have to fiddle too much with the settings, and run the chance of missing a nice shot.

marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
I would choose 18-55. You will need to set your camera to manual mode both lens and body. Set your ISO to 100 as you will probably have enough light from your fixture. Check the camera grid to see if you are not under or over exposing you picture. You will not need any external flash. Your tank will provide enough lighting. External flashes provide artifical lighting making your pictures artifical and then you risk the chances of it bouncing off your glass.

NanoAquatic

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.5%
364   2   0
Woa cool. Thank you! I'll try it tomorrow :)

I would choose 18-55. You will need to set your camera to manual mode both lens and body. Set your ISO to 100 as you will probably have enough light from your fixture. Check the camera grid to see if you are not under or over exposing you picture. You will not need any external flash. Your tank will provide enough lighting. External flashes provide artifical lighting making your pictures artifical and then you risk the chances of it bouncing off your glass.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: