DaddyReefer13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Dame that lense is $900

Yup . . Lenses get pretty pricy.

If you are just looking to post pics on online you can always just crop durring post processing but it will not have the great detail of a macro lense.

I have a pretty good all round Lense for sale if you are interested. I was able to capture some nice tank pics with it paired with my Canon XSI. (Sorry for high jacking:smash: ).

probe dms

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
you can always go manual and get a old vivitar 80-210. it does macro and you can probably get it for 40 dollars or less on ebay. youll need an adaptor and thats like 10 bucks. dont sleep on old lenses.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
The only "real" way of getting those really nice pics is with a Macro Lens. You can use the stock lens that you got with your camera. But not going to get the definition...

I would really recommend spending the extra money for an IS (image stabilization). If you plan to use the lens for other than tank shots (on a tripod), and what to say shoot your kids or anything outside the IS really does help.

Last edited:

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
It's not really a necessity to get a lens with IS provided that you are shooting at slower speeds. Macro shots are more focused and you are not shooting moving images so you can slow down your shutter speed so that you do not get motion blur if you move slightly.
A tripod helps as well, but not necessary. You can get a monopod and get the same results but get closer, however would not be as effective when shooting outdoors, and takes skill to master.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
It's not really a necessity to get a lens with IS provided that you are shooting at slower speeds. Macro shots are more focused and you are not shooting moving images so you can slow down your shutter speed so that you do not get motion blur if you move slightly.
A tripod helps as well, but not necessary. You can get a monopod and get the same results but get closer, however would not be as effective when shooting outdoors, and takes skill to master.

IS is better to have if you plan not using for other than tank shots. Since you will not be using a tripod outdoors or for even other basic photography.

Macro shots are not really more focused they are just closer. And you slow the shutter speed because you will most likely be shooting in lower light or a higher aperture for more clarity across the coral. You should shoot the fastest shutter as possible in relation to your aperture setting.

A monopod will def not give the same results as a tripod for tank shots. Since you will most likely be shooting slower shutter then you have to make sure that there is no movement, the slightest movement at the magnification of the macro (100mm) will blur the image. I even sometimes shoot with a remote shutter release to make sure that there is absolutely no movement.

For the novice a tripod is the best to use.

And for "all around" lens use an IS is a better idea. Now if you just cant afford the IS then by all means get the non-IS, but do not plan to use it often for moving targets...

marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
IS is better to have if you plan not using for other than tank shots. Since you will not be using a tripod outdoors or for even other basic photography.

Macro shots are not really more focused they are just closer. And you slow the shutter speed because you will most likely be shooting in lower light or a higher aperture for more clarity across the coral. You should shoot the fastest shutter as possible in relation to your aperture setting.

A monopod will def not give the same results as a tripod for tank shots. Since you will most likely be shooting slower shutter then you have to make sure that there is no movement, the slightest movement at the magnification of the macro (100mm) will blur the image. I even sometimes shoot with a remote shutter release to make sure that there is absolutely no movement.

For the novice a tripod is the best to use.

And for "all around" lens use an IS is a better idea. Now if you just cant afford the IS then by all means get the non-IS, but do not plan to use it often for moving targets...

Well said. If you gonna go with a tripod then go with Manfrotto or Gitzo. Don't cheap out on tripods.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: