Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Ok so im going to be ordering the d7000, i came across this kit below.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/872033-REG/Nikon_13019_D7000_DSLR_Camera_with.html

Personally my goal is to have the d7000
purchase a nice macro Lens [90mm?]
and purchase a great overall walk around lens [17-55?] The nikon version seems very expensive and was thinking about going with the tamron or the sigma.

Should i buy the kit above to keep the lens for vacations or buy to resell it? i know its not the fastest lens but its certainly good for vacations and capturing stuff right?

Any input ? should i just buy the 7000 body and go from there? or maybe a 7000+16-85 nikon lens?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Hey Johny

That lens is so-so in my opinion. If I was you, I would get a body only and a good f/2.8 lens or the 16-85mm from nikon (amazing lens). I have a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 as a walk-around and I really like it, however it's just a little more plasticky than what Tokina and Sigma offer.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
I figured i would order the body, one 2.8 lens to start and a macro. What would you suggest then? any chance you could help me find the correct ones to order. seems like there is different models.

Appreciate the help, my girlfriends birthday gift for me is the body. ill order the rest.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
All my macro shots were taken with Tamron 90mm, so yeah, it's a great lens. Whatever you choose, dont go for a 60mm and 180mm, 90-100 are the best for aquarium photography
The sigma you posted is a fine lens and very well built. So is Tokina, while Tamron offers great optics and cheaper price, but the lens itself isn't so sturdy IMO. Check those sites for good reviews:

photozone.de
http://www.cameralabs.com/lenses/Latest_DSLR_Lens_reviews.shtml
http://photo.net/reviews/

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Hmm, that's tricky. I would think about Nikon lens but having tight budget I would go with Sigma. Not because it is better (I didn't play with Sigma but from what I read from other users Tamron's optics are better) but because I did a lot of hiking in rough environment and sigma is better build. But of all four I mention, Nikon and Tokina has the best built quality (and are heaviest). What's the price difference between sigma and tamron?

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
The 18-200 lens that comes with that kit is a decent lens. It will be a good all around lens that you can walk around with to take pictures with and will provide a decent zoom. All of that as opposed to having lets say an 18-70, then a 70-300 then before you know it, you'll be carrying so many lenses just to supplement distances.
Purchase the kit, then get yourself a nice macro lens... then go from there.
Depending also what kind of pictures you plan on taking will be the difference in the lenses you purchase.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Personally i will be taking

Portraits
Moving action photography - [ skateboarding/biking/action sports etc - wont need much zoom]
photos of products - Hats/Teeshirts- Sneakers etc

And fish.

So im thinking

D7000 body
Tamron 17-50 [Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical [IF] Autofocus Lens]
Tamron 90mm [Tamron 90mm f/2.8 SP AF Di Macro Lens for Nikon AF]

TheHun

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.2%
75   3   0
much better? where should i order from? any suggestions?

"Tokina 100mm f/2.8 AF Macro is a great lens for macro, and especially good for any use as a portrait or telephoto lens. It is probably the best 100mm or 105mm macro there is, and costs half of what other lenses cost.

This Tokina's image quality is unsurpassed, and its ergonomics with the push-pull focus clutch are superior to both Canon's and Nikon's own 100mm and 105mm lenses!

I prefer the optics of this Tokina to Nikon and Canon, because this Tokina uses the correct 9-bladed diaphragm, where Nikon uses either only 7 blades, or rounds their 9-blade diaphragms which eliminates sunstars. Canon is completely clueless with their 8-bladed diaphragms, or again attempts to round their 9-bladed diaphragms.

With this Tokina lens, you've got a top-quality lens at a bargain price, and it's built to last. It has the same or better optics than either Canon or Nikon's lenses, and is smaller, lighter, less expensive, and handles better.

VR and IS are merely sales features in macro lenses. They are handy for hand-held available light shooting, but for dedicated macro shooting, we use strobes, so VR and IS are unneeded." - Ken Rockwell

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Tokina's Macro is excellent lens built as good as Nikon, so if you are willing to psend a little more, get Tokina. Even Ken Rockwell agrees, which is a little shock for me:) And since you want to shoot fast action sports, f/2.8 will make huge difference. The Nikon 18-200mm is a f/3.5-6.3, much slower than the Tamron or Sigma we talked about. I also always recommend people to buy Nikon's 50mm f/1.8, excellent lens and insanely fast for dirt cheap (only nikon's 50mm f/1.4 beats it, but for twice the $$$)

grknyer

Official Lurker
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Go with Nikkor glass if you can afford it. I have the 105mm 2.8 and l love it. I personally would never go with Sigma, Tokina or Tamron as third party lenses go and if I had to I would probably go with a Carl Weiss lens.

Reef_Paddy

Always Thinkering
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Why not rent the top 2/3 macro lenses you are thinking about for a couple of days each and make up your own mind. While everyone will provide advice, all you'll get is their opinion. Whats good for me, you might hate. If a company made a lens that was so bad, they wouldn't still be in business so there are small differences in feel, aesthetics and image with each lens under different circumstances. See what works for you.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: